Battery or Short

PhatDad

Hi,

I seem to be having a very similar problem on my Honda VFR 750f that I had on my Marauder 125cc when I had that.

The battery has been losing it's charge since the start of the week. I have an Autocom and three 12v accessory sockets installed in my top box that run from the rear light.

I have charged the battery with an optmiser over night and put it on the bike today. With the lights (gadgets) turned off it starts up great and a multimeter shows it running at 14volts and if i rev the bike it slowly climbs while it's revving. If I then turn the lights on plus autocom and one phone charger the meter reading drops to 13 something or other and then slowly decreases until I rev the engine where it climbs but then goes down again once i stop revving.

I can't imagine an autocom and one phone charger plugged into a fully charged phone will drain too much power. Is there a way to tell if it is a faulty battery or a short somewhere?

Hi,

I seem to be having a very similar problem on my Honda VFR 750f that I had on my Marauder 125cc when I had that.

The battery has been losing it's charge since the start of the week. I have an Autocom and three 12v accessory sockets installed in my top box that run from the rear light.

I have charged the battery with an optmiser over night and put it on the bike today. With the lights (gadgets) turned off it starts up great and a multimeter shows it running at 14volts and if i rev the bike it slowly climbs while it's revving. If I then turn the lights on plus autocom and one phone charger the meter reading drops to 13 something or other and then slowly decreases until I rev the engine where it climbs but then goes down again once i stop revving.

I can't imagine an autocom and one phone charger plugged into a fully charged phone will drain too much power. Is there a way to tell if it is a faulty battery or a short somewhere?

two things i would check.

disconnect or remove the fuse to you auxilary add ons.. then try as before and see if there's any difference.

this will give you the drain from the add ons.

check that the alternator is feeding a charge back to the battery, it might not do until you reach a certain rev range.. but should at some stage.

cherga the battery check the voltage, leave over night and recheck, this will confirm or eliminate any loss overnight through a faulty battery or earth.

Hi,

two things i would check.

disconnect or remove the fuse to you auxilary add ons.. then try as before and see if there's any difference.

this will give you the drain from the add ons.

check that the alternator is feeding a charge back to the battery, it might not do until you reach a certain rev range.. but should at some stage.

cherga the battery check the voltage, leave over night and recheck, this will confirm or eliminate any loss overnight through a faulty battery or earth.

I've replaced the battery with a new one today so I'm going to see if the problem reoccurs. If it does then I think there's a short.

I have an oil leak that slowly and on tuesday when i had a fantastic run on a hot day when i returned home i noticed that the side stand light was on while the stand was up. If i dropped the stand and raised it again the light would go out but slowly start to brighten again until it was lit. I suspect the oil may have been that hot it's damaged the wiring somewhere near there and that's where the short is from. The light seems to be working ok now though but i've not had a big run.

I've replaced the battery with a new one today so I'm going to see if the problem reoccurs. If it does then I think there's a short.

I have an oil leak that slowly and on tuesday when i had a fantastic run on a hot day when i returned home i noticed that the side stand light was on while the stand was up. If i dropped the stand and raised it again the light would go out but slowly start to brighten again until it was lit. I suspect the oil may have been that hot it's damaged the wiring somewhere near there and that's where the short is from. The light seems to be working ok now though but i've not had a big run.

i think you've diagnosed this yourself.

btw, have you used the tail light as a switch for a relay or as a direct feed.. if not, i would fit a relay in there so the add ons get power from the battery when the lights on, rather than from the light itself, ..