Gear changes are clunky!

MtotheJ

Got my 636 yesterday and managed to go out for a ride today before work! WOW! overtaking is a breeze and many a time i didnt realise how fast i was going until i looked at the speedo ! :? Acceleration is the best part, 0 -30 in a blink and the roar of the exhaust (a little bit nicer than my 2stroke 125!).

However, when im changing gears, it seems a bit (and sounds a bit) clunky. I hope you know what i mean. Sometimes it doesnt happen but more often than not it does, especially changing from 2 to 1 or 1 to 2. Is this normal or is something wrong? Just sounds a bit off putting and just doesnt feel very smooth!

Any advice appreciated :mrgreen:

With both my CBR125 and my CBR600 you get a fairly loud clunking sound when going from or to 1st gear (I actually find it quite useful as I always know when I've hit first gear when I'm changing down) so I wouldnt of thought its anything to worry about mate.

PS I suck at changing from 1st to 2nd smoothly on the 600 still.. hoping I get used to the clutch/throttle soon :)

PS I suck at changing from 1st to 2nd smoothly on the 600 still.. hoping I get used to the clutch/throttle soon :)

I still accidentally knock mine into neutral every now and again. Usually with a pillion on the back....much to their amusement. :lol:

Thats put my mind at ease i guess. The other thing is, if i change in to first from neutral when stationary the bike jerks forward quite a bit. the clutch seems to be fully engaged as if i hold the clutch in in first then rev the bike doesnt want to pull at all. Any ideas? Or, again, is this normal?

I have a Kawasaki ZZR 1400 with 500 miles on the clock. It thuds, I say THUDS into first gear. Sometimes its a normal clunk. Somtimes it rocks the bike, even when rolling forward. Its to ensure no miss gear , so I am told :shock: The gearbox wines until clutch is pulled in. Noisey gears when riding. I am told to just enjoy it and ride. I find it hard, when its my only new bike in 28 years of riding. Rubbish Jap Cra& :D :roll: :lol:

I still accidentally knock mine into neutral every now and again. Usually with a pillion on the back....much to their amusement. :lol:

SNAP! Me too!

1st to 2nd on my GSX600F isn't as smooth as the other gears. I wouldn't say clunky but it's definately not the same. Don't worry about it unless bits start flying off (even then just leave it unless the bits flying off are actually hitting people...and even then if no serious injurys take place.....you get the idea).

Guest David

Mines like that, I think it every spring when I get back on it. It had only done 4K when I bought it and it hasnt got any worse in the last 2 1/2 years.

Guest David
Thats put my mind at ease i guess. The other thing is, if i change in to first from neutral when stationary the bike jerks forward quite a bit. the clutch seems to be fully engaged as if i hold the clutch in in first then rev the bike doesnt want to pull at all. Any ideas? Or, again, is this normal?

I dont think it should move the bike, well not any distance but it will take up any slack in the chain