Additional armour

Guest rick

Hi guys,

Been thinking quite a bit recently about my armour protection in my HG textiles... and whilst they are very good, I can't help thinking I can buy something better. My main concerns are the following:

Back: Not long enough to cover lower back/spine;

Shoulders: Always stay put (I have large, wide shoulders);

Elbows: Seem fine, but move around a lot;

Hips: Hiprotect from HG, always stay where they should;

Knees: Ok when on bike, what happens if I fall off?;

So really the only thing I'm happy with at the moment is the hips and shoulders; the back, elbows and knees not so happy. Whilst the pads for the elbows and knees stay where they should when I'm on the bike, what happens if I ever fall off? It would be a shame if they moved and protected some other part of my leg/arm and my knees/elbows got a hammering as a result!

So this is where I'm at... I am currently looking into getting seperate back protector with a chest protector, and additional elbow/knee protectors - all of which secure to me and not my jacket. I have already spoken to Korbs a bit about back protectors and will be trying some on this weekend.

Have any of you used the knox elbow and knee strap on (oo-er) protectors? Check out : http://www.planet-knox.com/detail2.aspx?ID=36 and http://www.planet-knox.com/detail2.aspx?ID=37 Any good?

Cheers,

Rick.

I had a Know internal jacket with all the protection fitted, was great, but looked like batman.. but then updated my gear so sold it on.

Knox do replacement armour that you put into the pockets of the old stuff, and its CE approved..

and you can get it from most motorcycle accessory shops Hein gericke etc..

http://www.planet-knox.com/SearchResult ... tegoryID=5

Knox do replacement armour that you put into the pockets of the old stuff, and its CE approved.. and you can get it from most motorcycle accessory shops Hein gericke etc.

Think you've missed my point... I have decent armour already in the jacket, but the fact that they move about (specifically knees and elbows) is what worries me. The links I posted where the types you strap to your body before putting on your jacket, so they will always be in the right place all of the time (or at least more so than armour in jacket pockets).

and there was me thinking it was just my knee pads in my textiles that slid around... its a right pain in the ass having to move them into position over my knees and then quickly get onto the bike as they start to slip down again if i walk around much.

I assume it was just cos I bought a fairly cheap pair of textile trousers, I was going to look at getting some more soon but do they all have moving knee pads or are any of them fixed?

and there was me thinking it was just my knee pads in my textiles that slid around...

Common problem me thinks...

I assume it was just cos I bought a fairly cheap pair of textile trousers, I was going to look at getting some more soon but do they all have moving knee pads or are any of them fixed?

My HG ones were relatively expensive, around £180 for the trousers and £250 for the jacket. I don't like a tight fit and so this is half the problem. My suit has sewn-in pockets that are quite a bit larger than the armour, with velcro bits to move the armoun maybe an inch in either direction.

Either way I have got to the stage where I want to ensure my armour stays exactly where its supposed to... whats the point otherwise?!

Hopefully it will never happen, but like I said before, if I'm sliding down the road good chance the protection will also slide off the bits they're meant to be protecting. All I can hope for is that they remain in place for the initial impact!

Will be buying some new stuff ASAP and simply removing the armour from the jacket/trouser pockets... just wondering whether anyone has tried the knee/elbow protectors. The back/chest protector seem pretty popular, and highly rated, so will be ordering some.

Can only speak from experience here.... when i hit the tarmac and bounced down the road.... In my HG stuff, all the armour was where it was supposed to be at point of impact. And yes mine move about too. I think if you are sliding down the road... the textile itself is the bit protecting you, whereas the armour is designed to absorb some of the shock, in an impact. Be it tarmac or Mondeo ...

Can only speak from experience here.... when i hit the tarmac and bounced down the road.... In my HG stuff, all the armour was where it was supposed to be at point of impact. And yes mine move about too. I think if you are sliding down the road... the textile itself is the bit protecting you, whereas the armour is designed to absorb some of the shock, in an impact. Be it tarmac or Mondeo ...

Thanks for the info Dan... I'm sure it will be fine, hopefully not moving for impact and then it can do whatever it wants to. I'm going to order myself a new back/chest protector and see how I get on.

Well the knox back and chest protector has arrived :D

The back protector is excellent and fits really well, but the chest protector is actually quite a bit larger than I expected and whilst fits well, doesn't feel terribly comfortable and when I wear it under my HG jacket is looks as if I'm a frigging massive body builder :lol:

I think in order to get used to it I will ride with just the back protector for a while before going the whole hog with the chest protector.

What back protector did you go for, was it the contour? I found that when I started using it, it felt like a small backpack all the time. I went to put my jacket on the other day and felt really strange and realised I'd forgotted to put the back protector on, as soon as it was on I felt right again! I soon got used to wearing it, maybe it'll be the same with the chest protector.

What back protector did you go for, was it the contour?

Yes indeedy... went for the standard Contour tour. It'll be interesting to see how it goes today :)

What back protector did you go for, was it the contour? I found that when I started using it, it felt like a small backpack all the time. I went to put my jacket on the other day and felt really strange and realised I'd forgotted to put the back protector on, as soon as it was on I felt right again! I soon got used to wearing it, maybe it'll be the same with the chest protector.

Was for me mate... First couple of times I wore it I was a little unsure, but after a while it's just like the back protector. Don't even notice it's there.

Was for me mate... First couple of times I wore it I was a little unsure, but after a while it's just like the back protector. Don't even notice it's there.

Yeah, when I wore the back protector this morning it felt like I was wearing an ironing board :lol:

After about 30mins of my journey I got used to it and it felt fine... just a little hot. I think I'll ride for a few weeks without the chest protector and then give that a go.