Speedo over reading -Honda CG 125

Bill_on_a_bike

Mate of mine's just bought a honda CG125, all's well except the speedo is reading absolutely miles above what's really happening, and by about 20 miles an hour it's gone completely round the dial and starting again.

Is this more likely a problem with the speedo drive or the speedo itself? And how hard are these things to fix?

cheers guys

Cable itself is a doddle to change Bill, like rennie said, usually fail the other way though...

Think I'd want to check the correct speedo is on the bike before you do anything though. Sounds a little odd.

Incidentally, although they are designed to overread, TheWifes bike is miles out too. In comparison to mine at least. I am waiting to see if there is much of a difference when we replace the front tyre before I investigate further.

thing is dan, it's not over reading by like, 10mph or even 20, it's reading 90mph at about 10mph which is the end of the dial, and after that it's spun round the dial and is kinda sticky. I'm wondering if the speedo is the wrong one, and how genuine the milage is. Hard to check these things on a guys drive without riding it.

Well done on becoming a mod.

cheers bill :thumb:

I would of thought it would have a part number on it? That you could cross reference against something ??

Have you or your mate checked each end of the speedo cable to ensure it is seated properly and done up tight?

Nah really haven't had a look at it properly yet, just wondered if it over reading indicated a specific problem or something.

Well i'll have an investiage next time I'm round, need to get the front wheel off at some point anyway, the brakes need a good clean I think.

Nah really haven't had a look at it properly yet, just wondered if it over reading indicated a specific problem or something.

Well i'll have an investiage next time I'm round, need to get the front wheel off at some point anyway, the brakes need a good clean I think.

i don't want to state the obvious, but are you sure that the speedo cable is in the speedo, and not the tacho cable... could be the previous owner got them mixed up?

aaah if only, but there is no tacho, and so no tacho cable.

Yesterday the speedo worked for a few minutes, then went back to over reading massively.

I unscrewed the speedo cable from the back of the speedo, gave it a bit of a jiggle and screwed it back on. This now means I think the speedo is reading too slow. It's hard to judge because i'm only riding it round a car park, and he hasn't got the confidence to take it on the road yet.

I'm almost inclined to get myself insured on this thing for the day, to take it for a good hard ride, clear it's gills out, and find all these things that are a little bit wrong. I can cope with them, but he's new he needs as smoother ride as he can get, so to speak.

Take him out with you, and don't stray too far, just in case of any problems, and use your bike to govern the speed, sit at 30, 40, 50, when safe to do so, and then stop for a brew somewhere and confirm his speedo to yours. it migt be owrth trying ebay or a breakers for a new speedo, it sounds like the internals are shot..

i have fitted other speedos to bikes but stayed with manufacturer and similar cc, so don't think thats is your problem, so its probably the internal windings, also if you get a replacement make a note of the old speedo reading and new at change over.

then you can rip the old one apart ....

• 8 months later...

Hiya, Did you manage to get this problem sorted? If so, what did you do? As I am having the same issue with my CG125.

It's been doing it for a while now, although there was only about 5mph difference. But today I was riding alongside my fella, and as he was doing 40mph my speedo said I was doing 50. :(

• 2 months later...
Hiya, Did you manage to get this problem sorted? If so, what did you do? As I am having the same issue with my CG125.

It's been doing it for a while now, although there was only about 5mph difference. But today I was riding alongside my fella, and as he was doing 40mph my speedo said I was doing 50. :(

haha same problem here too, but while doing 50-60 (haven't a clue, probably 50) it said I was doing 90.

I had bought a cable off ebay that snapped, replaced it back to the old cable and now it's over reading. I bought the new cable because the speedo wasn't working, put another set of dials on which worked. Also the prongs that went into the speedo drive in the wheel were snapped so replaced that.

I can only add that it is normal thing to have 3-5% more on speedo.

Police and safety :twisted: or politics - choose one :wink:

All the clock's will show more as to stop us from speeding :)

There was a big fuss about it few years back :?

Bike or car - same thing.

You think you are at 75mph - no you are still legal - doing only 70mph

I am still on 32-33mph and camera never flashed :mrgreen: hope it will never flash

Well it is not the best advice to put though

:!: DO NOT EXCEED THE SPEED LIMITS :!:

• 1 month later...

The speedo on my 'F' plate CG125(Br) started to over-read after my grandson dropped it :cry: It's OK up to about 40mph but then starts go berserk. I've stripped the instrument out and found the the rotating part is slightly out of line. I tried to straighten it but, though there was a slight improvement it is very difficult to get it completely right. I'll live with it for now but on the lookout for a replacement. :wink: