Which sports tourer?

Guest rick

<t>Which sports tourer... and why?</t>  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which sports tourer... and why?

• Yamaha Fazer FZ1
    • Suzuki Bandit 1250 GT

Hey guys

As some of you know I was involved in an accident on Friday and whilst it hasn't been confirmed whether my bike will be written off, I expect it will be. This has got me thinking about what my next ride should be and I already decided a few months ago that all being well I would upgrade to a 1000cc just before Summer 2010... looks like this will be brought forward :lol:

My current beloved bike is a Fazer FZS600 and I would like to upgrade to either the FZ1 or the Bandit 1250. I remember when I was looking at bikes last October and I sat and really got to like the Bandit 1250 GT but ended up, primarily due to finances, buying an older bike and picked up my Fazer for a bargain.

The way I see it I have two options... the FZ1 or the Bandit 1250GT. I need room to carry stuff and so luggage is important, after all as soon as I got my current bike I realised I needed some space and bought a topbox (and, when that ran out... a tank bag!).

Which one would you vote for, and why?

Cheers,

Rick.

I'd go for the Bandit as its exceptional value, its been around a lot longer than the Yam so there are more options for modification, support & repairs etc. Its a great engine and I think it looks better too.

Have you thought about the Triumph Sprint?

Never really thought about the sprint before, but heading to HG in a bit and they're next door to Triumph B'ham so will pop in :)

Have thought about the VFR but have read mixed things about them... MCN rave about the Bandit engine and the max torque is so low down, around 3,500 rpm.

Both have great reviews, and theres quite a few people on here with those bikes Personaly i would ask the owners of those bikes what they Like/Dislike about them, And go and test ride both.

P.S. Let me know because this is most peoples proplem when changing the bike.

Or get a Blade

Test ride a hayabusa , . Its not every ones cuppa tea but ticks a lot of boxes for me . . . the blackbird is a good bike allso .

:stupid:

Both great bikes... Blackbird will be my touring bike when I start doing the really big miles.

Test rode a Fazer 600 and I'd have a Bandit anyday over the Fazer. Those that ride a fazer should try a Bandit. The handling was better as were the position and the maneouverability of the handle bars

had a sprint st and prefer it to the vfr800 as a lot more soul better brakes and very good build too :D

blackbird is great if your 5-10 or more as its a reach for the bars and at 5-8 i found it a bit uncomfortable on long rides. :(

i have a zzr11 atm which is superb but old now but if you can afford the new zzr14 that's fabulous. 8-)

trick is too have a good test ride and then you will know.

think the fz1 needs a power commander to sort glitchy fueling which will piss you of when touring.

bandits are a good old bike but again they are a very old design and built down to a price so you don't get a quality finish and you have to clean it meticulously if you want it to sty nice.

Bandit has the least looking after requirements of all bikes (cleaning wise). I have a Sprint St and it is a great sport tourer but the options were between a fazer and a bandit.

I chose the bandit as with that high cc you should be getting massive torque and a very smooth feel to the bike. Just my opinion, I think you could have more fun with the yammie but the Bandit certainly wont let you down in that factor.

I chose the Fazer.... but then I would.

I have no problem with power output. The suspension on it is infinitely more adjustable and the brakes are far better and it is also a far more stylish bike as the Bandit always looks a bit dated.

The Fazer thou is a very different bike to the 600, but just as much "fun" once you get used to it.

You shouldn't have the same problem with the tank bag that I have.... bit squashed :shock: :yay:

think the fz1 needs a power commander to sort glitchy fueling which will p*ss you of when touring.

The fueling is only an issue if you let it be .... there are plenty of aftermarket gizmos either new or second hand to sort any potential problem out.

Test ride a hayabusa , . Its not every ones cuppa tea but ticks a lot of boxes for me . . . the blackbird is a good bike allso .

:stupid:

Both great bikes... Blackbird will be my touring bike when I start doing the really big miles.

A friends father used the black bird to tour france etc..he got shot of it and has a fazer 1000 in its place..they arnt the best comfortable bike the blackbird

Bandit! I've got a GSX600F and it has a Bandit engine in and it's great. Very easy to maintain and look after.

I agree about looking at the Blackbird. They look big (and are really!) but the weight is just right and nice and low down so it doesn't feel too massive. Can't go wrong with a VFR if you check the very few known faults.

I think whichever you may go for it'll be a good bike...but for me it's the Bandit.

Never ridden either of these, but I have a VFR and its great.

If you are off touring the full set of luggage and SatNav which come with the 1250GT are worth a fair bit (Givi luggage, £700 ish and Garmin Zumo, £400 ish).

Are you looking to buy new Rick??

Rennie was looking at buying a new Bandit 1250GT - in his words 'a lot of bike for the money'

We went to look at one - both sat on it & it was very nice, but what put Rennie off in the end was there was no security!

No immobiliser or alarm on a brand new, top of the range bike is rather poor!! He would've wanted to put a hugger & scottoiler on too.

Fazer's are probably a better quality build than the Bandit, but Rennie doesn't like the look of the new one!

Are you looking to buy new Rick??

Rennie was looking at buying a new Bandit 1250GT - in his words 'a lot of bike for the money'

We went to look at one - both sat on it & it was very nice, but what put Rennie off in the end was there was no security!

No immobiliser or alarm on a brand new, top of the range bike is rather poor!! He would've wanted to put a hugger & scottoiler on too.

Fazer's are probably a better quality build than the Bandit, but Rennie doesn't like the look of the new one!

I didn't realise there was no security!

I will be taking the scottoiler off my fazer :)

lots of thinking to do :)

Rick i just picked up me new 1250 gt bandit full luggage and full fairing version and for the money it is supreme mate my only prob is gonna be getting it to the dealer in time for its 600 service mate

the miles I do it would be at the service place in a week!

Whats the service intervals Roy?

Oh and did you get it on the 0% offer? Did they throw in a sat nav as well?

Nice one Roy!! They are lovely bikes - just disappointed about the security on that sort of bike.

Maybe you can talk a bit of a deal Rick, if thats what you want

BTW Rick, when we talked to the dealer he said that the SatNav deal was on the K8's not K9's - he said they'd reduced the price of the bike instead of giving away SatNav

Zero finance mate they will fit alarm 250 i think and 150 for the scottoiler i think it was, dont need a sat nav i can read a map plus it just summat else to break hahahahahaha

services are 4 thou same as the rest

Rick when you work out the difference on finance and add on all the bits you want bandit still a lot cheaper and IMO just as good for the money as the rest and remember the more bits you gonna add the better deal ya can strike