God dam thiefs

Guest gunmens

ok not sure if i have put this in the right section but a couple off weeks ago i went out to my bike and saw my front disk lock on the floor in half. It wasn't a straight cut and looked brittle so thought nothing more of it and put it down to cheap lock that wasn't as good as i thought but last night i came down stairs about 2-3am to see 3 guys standing around my bike and my back lock snapped too. thankfully i have now moved my bike and order 3 more locks (1 with added alarm HEHE) but am still worried about loosing my pride and joy and was wondering what advice other people have on stopping this 16 year old chavs from getting anyway with my bike

I have 2 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0303161250 of them

and a new http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0020181946 which i cant wait to try out

but i dont have anything to attach my bike to and it does have to sit at the front of the house

a f**king big bat :D

if it's gotta stay outside maybe install a PIR sensor - floodlight ?

Or think about setting a shackle in the concrete if you've got any so peeps cant just pick the bike up <-- this can be done effetivley very cheap

I agree with what greenstein said. But don't hit them too hard or you'll get done for moydah, see!

If you do go for a ground anchor I'd say put one chain through it. Put the other chain as high up on the bike as possible, still around the wheel but if it's at the front wrap it round a fork or something. That way there's less slack so much harder to go at with bolt cutters.

Definately go for the PIR floorlight. OK so the neighbour's cat might set it off a few times, but it'll keep those pesky chavs off your property...nothing more conspicuous than 3 brightly lit hood rats huddled round a bike at night!

If you're very, very concerned then maybe think about setting up a video camera in the front window. Just a webcam will do, hook it up to your PC and leave it recording on CCTV mode over night. That way it'll capture a frame every five seconds, and if they come back you'll have some faces to show to the police.

hey guys.. Newbie posting here...

I'm also very security concious, since i had my old motorbike stolen when visiting a friend in Middlesborough recently (i never want to experience that feeling again in my life).

How are Disc brakes normally? I used to use a chain and lock, but bought a disc lock with my new bike yesterday.

Love the idea of a flood light.. But does anyone know of the best lock to use when traveling? My stance is, if they are going to want it that badly, nothing is going to stop em. But anything that stops (and preferably might harm) the 16 year old chav from touching my bike, the better :)

the webcam idea is good, but you'll have to make sure you've a very big hard drive unless you can find some motion detection software...

(sorry for a semi thread steal :mrgreen: )

hey guys.. Newbie posting here...

I'm also very security concious, since i had my old motorbike stolen when visiting a friend in Middlesborough recently (i never want to experience that feeling again in my life).

How are Disc brakes normally? I used to use a chain and lock, but bought a disc lock with my new bike yesterday.

Love the idea of a flood light.. But does anyone know of the best lock to use when traveling? My stance is, if they are going to want it that badly, nothing is going to stop em. But anything that stops (and preferably might harm) the 16 year old chav from touching my bike, the better :)

the webcam idea is good, but you'll have to make sure you've a very big hard drive unless you can find some motion detection software...

(sorry for a semi thread steal :mrgreen: )

http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/09/27/how-to-use-your-pc-and-webcam-as-a-motion-detecting-and-recording-security-camera/

Still not sold on the whole webcam idea though, last thing you want after finding your bike nicked is a video of 3, hooded 4ft scallies making off with it.

I read somewhere that landmines only cost $3 to produce so that might be worth a look.http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/1-9429.aspx

What bike you got gunmens? Chaining it tightly to something stationary would be good and maybe a cover then you can chain to the bike so it cant be taken off easily? Would deter most people and those that dont know what your bike is may just ignore it.

They always say keep the chain off the floor as much as you can, makes it harder to get bolt cutters on it apparently.

I think if someone's actively trying to steal your bike then you're going to have to secure it really firmly, and videoing the bike so that if they do get it you can help catch them.

I think a good solid ground anchor, a steel loop in the ground with a good solid block of concrete on the other end, with a chain to the frame is about as secure as it can be.

Or think about setting a shackle in the concrete if you've got any so peeps cant just pick the bike up <-- this can be done effetivley very cheap

Better with an 18" Maglite

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/210MB8G00ZL._SS500_.jpg

At least your not carrying an offensive weapon, and having it filled with 6 D type batteries makes it like a lead bar.

I've had one for years, you only need to hit somebody with it once to make your point.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mag-Lite-6D-Cell-Size-Black/dp/B0002JT3JS/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1243848096&sr=1-18

Better with an 18" Maglite

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/210MB8G00ZL._SS500_.jpg

At least your not carrying an offensive weapon, and having it filled with 6 D type batteries makes it like a lead bar.

I've had one for years, you only need to hit somebody with it once to make your point.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mag-Lite-6D-Cell-Size-Black/dp/B0002JT3JS/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1243848096&sr=1-18

Just make sure you only take it with you at night. In the day and the cops will bust you for offensive weapon charges. :)

They always say keep the chain off the floor as much as you can, makes it harder to get bolt cutters on it apparently.

I think if someone's actively trying to steal your bike then you're going to have to secure it really firmly, and videoing the bike so that if they do get it you can help catch them.

I think a good solid ground anchor, a steel loop in the ground with a good solid block of concrete on the other end, with a chain to the frame is about as secure as it can be.

+1. If you do go this route with a chain securing the frame of the bike to a stationery and immovable object, then get yourself an Almax Series 3 or even Series 4 (amazing chains guaranteed against bolt croppers) to secure the frame to the object. From what i've heard and read about them there is no way to quick way to break them and you can't break them without making a lot of noise (unlike chains of 14mm and below, which can be silently broken with bolt croppers, even when not on the floor).

If you're not going to secure the bike to an object though i would get a much cheaper chain, because all they'll do is lift it into a van instead, leaving you having to replace both a bike, AND an expensive chain.

i use a chain through the back wheel and over the seat. and then a cable and lock through the front wheel, between frame infront of the back wheel and to a lamp post. streetlights illuminate the twocers, and two chains and an immovable object make them think twice..

thats if its not stored in my yard, then its a wall, gate, drawbolt, padlock, can't see them getting it without me hearing.. plus they'd need to know it was there,

also keeping it under the streetlight, means it over the road, (veiw from upstairs) and they can't calculate which house and therefore which yard it may be stored in.. plus next door has a big noisy dog.. that wakes easily...

I really hate the fact we live in a society where this shite goes on. It really pisses me off that if I need to run to the shop quickly or go somewhere urgently I have to spend god knows how long taking several chains, disklocks, disarming alarms etc, moving out of a locked garage, moving cars out the way etc etc etc just to go somewhere on my bike.

Why can't we leave our bikes out in the open unlocked? Why are we in such a state that the theiving little scrotes seem to outnumber the honest, hard working people?

How can we stop this? In a couple of years it might be easier for me to join the scrotes and just nick a bike whenever I want to go anywhere. What's cheaper an ASBO or fine compared to insurance, tax and MOT's?

I feel your pain.

I wonder if there's any way of hooking up the battery to the frame so if anyone tries to nick it they get a cheaky little zap, like from a cattle prod. That should solve our woes - no more chains, alarms, ground anchors, nothing. Then again, they could just wear rubber gloves...My point is now moot! But I shall post it anyway!

I really hate the fact we live in a society where this sh*t goes on. It really pisses me off that if I need to run to the shop quickly or go somewhere urgently I have to spend god knows how long taking several chains, disklocks, disarming alarms etc, moving out of a locked garage, moving cars out the way etc etc etc just to go somewhere on my bike.

Why can't we leave our bikes out in the open unlocked? Why are we in such a state that the theiving little scrotes seem to outnumber the honest, hard working people?

Wish we could... Stupid chavs and their parents... And the goverment for giving into them...

I've a friend who is compleatly innocent to this. He'll leave something by the garage, go round to fetch the car, and come back to get what he left.. When asked about it, his reply was "Its not theirs, so why should they take it?". Wish we all had this view point, world would be a better place.

Still, if i ever catch the chavs that nicked my 125, i can't repeat what i'd do to them, and i hope the police would look the other way just that one time. :evil:

After having my car broken into and the police officer on the phone finding out I was a doorman he said to me 'Well you know what your stuff looks like, if you see it again do what you have to do.'

He meant it in that I should do some damage but said it in a 'I didn't mean to do damage but to phone the police again' wording.

I think sometimes you need to do some damage if it's possible and hope you can get away with the 'It must have been a bystander who stepped in and beat them to a pulp as I was in bed and heard nothing officer' defence. :)