sprocket help!

rosszx9r

i've tried everthing.... hit it.... wacked it..... jumped on it... chistled at it.... drilled it.... whacked it some more.... :x :x :x

i'm trying to change my front sprocket and have run out of ideas how to get the nut off!!!

i'm locking the chain using a mate standing on the rear brake pedal. 12" extension bar on the end of the socket wrench.

can any one give me an idea how to do it... there must be a nack to it but i'd of thought brute force and ignorance was quite enough..... :roll:

you need an impact gun and it will whip it off with no effort

can get an electric one for £20 from machine mart or halfords :) infact i think argos sell them too :shock:

Guest akey

Yep I would get hold of an Impact Driver.

for the GSXR I had willow on the bike with both brakes on and I was using a 2 1/2 foot breaker bar to get it off, but the last time I did it with an impact driver and it came off real quick.

you turning nut the right way?

:laugh: Please say you were turning it the wrong way! Have you tried heating it? Otherwise yeah go for the impact driver.

:laugh: Please say you were turning it the wrong way! Have you tried heating it? Otherwise yeah go for the impact driver.

tried both directions to see if it would loosen.... it's a standard thread though. i would of thought 14stone jumping on the end of a foot long bar would shift anything... :shock:

heating it up would probably result in an insurance claim on my TPFT policy given te amount of oil in the vacinity :?

i'll pop down to halfords and see if i can get a decent impact driver.... hope it's worth it :? never used one before... always thought they'd rip my wrist off if the bolt was tight :shock:

never used one before... always thought they'd rip my wrist off if the bolt was tight :shock:

Nah, just get your mate to do it!

i tried this on my bandit with a breaker bar and ended up lifting the whole bike, took it to a garage and they put the rattle gun on it, off in minutes,

you need an impact gun and it will whip it off with no effort

can get an electric one for £20 from machine mart or halfords :) infact i think argos sell them too :shock:

well i poped into argos and picked up an impact wrench for £30 (halfords stopped doing them. only do air pnes now :( )

worked a treat.... eventually :? the nut was supposed to be tightened to 125nm, the wrench kicked out a healthy 350nm :shock:

it needed a little help from a demel drill steel cutter to weaken it's grip but got there in the end...

thanks for the help guys... every step is getting me closer to being back on the road... hopefully before the end of summer :roll: ...