Northern France/Normandy

Guest leyther

Well i've decided to do something i've been thinking about for a while; A little trip to northern France. Will be the first time abroad on the bike hence why its a short trip, just to get the feet wet.

This will be a short trip, about 4-5 days, covering approximately 800 miles. Initial plan is to travel from Dover over to Calais via ferry, then travel down to Le Mont St Michel, via the coastal roads where possible, through/past the Normandy beaches, also possibly via St Mere Eglise in the Cotentin peninsula (this part might be skipped and a more direct route across to Le Mont St Michel taken). Return will be across country, via Alencon, Evreux and Amiens back to Calais, although this route can and probably will alter some. No motorways, just, hopefully, decent biking roads (I've included a few roads that have been mentioned on biking-route sites as being good to use).

It will be a ride to enjoy the sights, the roads and the culture of la belle francais.

Just wondering if anyone else would be interested in going or is planning anything similar? Not sure of the dates yet, although probably early-mid July (but i am flexible on the dates) before all the French go on their hols, and would most likely be leaving on a Sunday.

850496988_PreliminaryRoute.jpg.cea04be1ddac48a2c66523e6a8f263d9.jpg

Looks like a cool trip, are you looking at hotels or camping?

would be cheap-ish hotels (formula 1/premier classe type) to keep the costs down as much as possible, not really given any thought to the camping idea, but that is an option (athough i havent been under canvas since i was a kid).

I could possibly be intersted in this, only problem I have is I have a tight Schedule in July as Im in madrid on 13th and 14th of July and Im doing the amsterdam trip on 21st of July so I would only be able to fit this trip in from 5th July to 11th or 16th July to 21st and would have to end at Calais so I can meet the amsterdam trip goers!!

I could possibly be intersted in this, only problem I have is I have a tight Schedule in July as Im in madrid on 13th and 14th of July and Im doing the amsterdam trip on 21st of July so I would only be able to fit this trip in from 5th July to 11th or 16th July to 21st and would have to end at Calais so I can meet the amsterdam trip goers!!

jeez u are busy :mrgreen:

thats not an issue as the date i'm thinking of going is sunday 5th july (monday is also a possibility), and coming back either the thursday or friday later that week.

The dates look good to me, would you be able to give some rough idea on prices? As you say Ive got a busy month and I've gota make sure I budget myself properly, dont want to overspend

yeah no problem, gimme a couple of days to get something sorted out.

ok, got some info on prices.

Looking at a return ferry trip of £27.50 each with P&O, or £34 with SeaFrance, both sailing from Dover on Sunday approx midday, and return on Thursday again, around midday. If flexibility is required then a single trip is £20-22 both ways.

Hotels depend on whether a single room is wanted or for sharing. Sharing would obviously halve the cost. Cheapest rooms would be at the Formula 1 hotels, and these work out at approx £30/night (£15 each if sharing). Rooms would work out at approx £121 (£60 each if sharing). Higher cost hotels available obviously and these can be got for from £30-40 /night. I would guess food would be approx 10-15 euros a day.

I've estimated stopovers near the following to work out the hotels, but these are not set in stone; Dieppe/Le Treport, Saint Lo/Coutance/Caen, Avranches/Alencon, Amiens/Abbeville.

But this should hopefully give you an idea of costs.

we stayed in formule1's when we went! cheap and cheerful but do exactly what they say on the tin :lol:

only thing I will say is that they tend to be close to the big roads not the shops etc.

you take pot luck with what you can find open for refreshments etc.

we walked miles to get a beer one night :D

we stayed in formule1's when we went! cheap and cheerful but do exactly what they say on the tin :lol:

only thing I will say is that they tend to be close to the big roads not the shops etc.

you take pot luck with what you can find open for refreshments etc.

we walked miles to get a beer one night :D

yeah i know, i think it'll be a case of weighing up options. etap have hotels in a lot of the places on the route, and they're not much more than the formula 1, but they are closer to amenities. thanks for the reminder tho :cheers:

• 1 month later...

So whats happening with this? Still going ahead?

I'm seriously tempted, together with Carlos to do something very similar... probably leaving UK on a thursday and returning on a sunday... in mid october...

unfortunately the real world had interrupted my plans. had a service and needed a new chain and sprocket, & new rear tyre, so with my current employment situation, my sensible head told me to hold off til i'm more financially stable :(