Post test and advanced training

This may be a little premature since I haven't passed Mod 2 yet (hoping to book it ASAP on Tuesday) but I'm thinking positive. When I pass I will be saving for a bike ASAP (probably a 600 of some kind). Then I was wondering about advanced courses.

I did my DAS training through Motag who offer a few options:

2 hour post test - "A short introduction to the new areas open to the freshly qualified rider. We would like everyone to explore the freedom of the road with a greater degree of safety. This course emphasises the real life relevance of the motorcycle test."

1 day rider improvement - "For the rider who is moving up to a larger machine this course includes off and on road work. Off road the rider quickly becomes familiar with the increased weight and response of the larger bike. On road you are given a refresher of our unique 'system of motorcycle control' and rapidly progress in confidence as you are shown how to make the most of your new bike. This course is also ideal for the motorcyclist who has a full licence, but is returning to motorcycling after a break of several years. My how traffic conditions have changed!"

Advanced rider improvement - "Learn the Advanced System of Roadcraft as it should be applied on today's roads. Courses are available on a 1:1 basis, but can also cater for up to a maximum of four riders. The tuition combines advanced theory with demonstration and practice of the techniques expected and concludes with an assessed ride and debriefing. Whether you ride as an individual or with a group of friends, you owe it to yourself and other road users to preserve life on the road. Courses run over two days and are individually arranged to meet your expectations and ability. This is a certified course and candidates receive a report on their performance."

Has anyone had any experience of these? Are they worth doing or is there something else I should ask for? I really enjoyed learning with my instructor Rick, so their website was the first place I looked. Insurance websites suggest there are a ton of recognised courses but I don't know what to expect from any of them or how quickly they would apply to me (being that I wouldn't be moving up in size or be returning to biking in a mid-life-crisis).

Any thoughts?

If you want to do an advanced course then i would recommend the IAM, simply because it costs ~£120 (somebody might know the exact price) for many hours of tuition (roadcraft) by volunteers, test, and it tends to be recognised by insurance companies.

when i did the car one a couple of years ago, it took me 5 months (about 25 hours worth of tuition), various assessments, test with a police pursuit driver as an examiner, access to roadcraft tuition books, even a highway code book, and cost me practically next to nothing, as oppose to the "£25/hr advanced training" run by bike instructors

Bargain :D

If you want to do an advanced course then i would recommend the IAM, simply because it costs ~£120 (somebody might know the exact price) for many hours of tuition (roadcraft) by volunteers, test, and it tends to be recognised by insurance companies.

RoSPA (which is the older of the two) usually works out at about £25 for a years group membership which includes your theory sessions, practical on road coaching and books, and most group instructors are on the register of post test trainers and hold the diploma in advanced instruction.

There is no requirement to take the test at the end of the training (not everyone is a badge collector :wink: ) and many stay on once they have done their training, but if you do take the test, then unlike the IAM it is graded bronze, silver and gold, with a rerquirement to re-test every 3 years maximum to ensure that standards are maintained, whereas the majority of IAM riders take a one off test and still call themselves advanced drivers and riders 40 years down the line :oops: :wink:

RoSPA like the IAM use Police class 1 riders as examiners, but the test is somewhat more detailed and involved than the IAM test, but both are worthwhile doing.

Someone once said that advanced training is the best aftermarket accessory that money can buy, and I feel that there is some truth in that, but as with any training it is only as good as the instruction you received.

I am not trying to be biased as I am both a RoSPA and IAM examiner, but to be honest, wait until you have your full licence, get 6 months under your belt then look at your options. 6 months is a good time as you will have that experience, you will be more confident and familiar with your bike, but you will still be inexperienced enough to be able to take constructive advice.

As a by the by, the 2 hour post test course and the 1 day rider improvement will not turn you into an advanced rider, all they can do is give you a few pointers into what can/may be achieved with proper training, but as I say, wait until you have your full licence simply because you need to ride in a different style to get through your test, and 95% of what you learn to get through your test goes out of the window once you get up to advanced level.

Thanks for the advice. 6 months was the kind of time frame I was thinking about so that makes sense.

There are two motivations for doing a course (or 2) that I think are positive:

1. Insurance of course - less on insurance means more for me to spend on becoming a better rider

2. I am intending to purchase a decent bike (possibly new) and have it last a few years. Instead of spending money on upgrades or new bikes I hope I can make a good informed decision now and then use the cash to improve myself before my kit.

I guess that goes with your quote but as someone who has improved an inexplicable amount in just 4 days I am hoping to continue to learn and grow much more in the future. I want to be as good as I can before using my super expensive insurance policy.

Again, thanks for your advice guys. I'll be sure to check back on this thread in the new year.

Take a look at Bike Safe. Not a long course and only costs £100 (I think). That's something you do in a weekend, and I've heard is a good thing to do for the less experienced if you're thinking of doing advanced training.

Thanks Pete! It's better than you thought:

The cost is £48, which includes a copy of "Roadcraft", "Not the Blue Book" & an up to date Highway Code. It also covers morning tea/coffee on the first Sunday, & lunch both days.

Sounds like a sensible thing to do to me. I want to be as good as I can so I don't mind spending money on multiple courses. It's not like they all need to be paid for or taken at once anyway. I have a while to save yet (I still need to buy a bike for christ sake).

Cheers again for the good thought.

Thanks Pete! It's better than you thought:

The cost is £48, which includes a copy of "Roadcraft", "Not the Blue Book" & an up to date Highway Code. It also covers morning tea/coffee on the first Sunday, & lunch both days.

Bikesafe is or can be worthwhile, but don't go into it thinking that it is a course as many do (how many times have I heard someone say they are Police trained after doing 1 days Bikesafe :roll: ) but it is simply a good introduction to the principles and provides a flavour of what is involved in attaining an advanced standard.

You will not get training, simply some pointers on areas that can be improved after which you should be pointed in the direction of a local group.

Roadcraft (The Police riders manual) is designed to work in conjunction with practical hands on training and can be misinterpreted, so a full course is the only way you are going to really gain all the benefits.

But I go back to my original comment, wait until you have you full licence before embarking on any advanced training.

2. I am intending to purchase a decent bike (possibly new) and have it last a few years. Instead of spending money on upgrades or new bikes I hope I can make a good informed decision now and then use the cash to improve myself before my kit.

Don't scrimp on your kit, that should be on the list of priorities. It doesn't matter how good you are or how well you have been trained, you cannot eleminate the risk of an accident.

Please get your kit before you get any training, your bike can be repaired or replaced, you can't! :wink:

Don't scrimp on your kit, that should be on the list of priorities. It doesn't matter how good you are or how well you have been trained, you cannot eleminate the risk of an accident.

Please get your kit before you get any training, your bike can be repaired or replaced, you can't! :wink:

Oh don't worry; it was just not put very well. I already have a top notch helmet, jacket, gloves, waterproofs and boots. I just need some trousers and I'm good. By kit I meant bike/accessories. I have heard of many people throwing cash into new bikes or "upgrades" for their existing bikes and yet they can't ride for anything.