Poll: Behaviour of cagers

Guest rick

<t>Have you ever had a cager behave erratically towards you?</t>  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a cager behave erratically towards you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Use your bike for all year riding and commuting (& fun of course)
    • Weekend/weeknight fun use only
    • >12k per annum

Ok, so an interesting point has been made on a recent thread here on the forums regarding the behaviour of cagers towards us bikers when filtering/passing etc. etc. :D

In my experience the vast majority of cagers are fine, will get out of your way (going out of the way a lot of the time).. but you always have one cager who isn't happy you are filtering past, overtaking or whatever, and makes life difficult for you :evil:

Have any of you ever experienced such behavior towards you, even though (in your eyes) you rode past courteously with plenty of room and/or not riding aggressively? :angel12:

I often come across cagers who behave like this and just let them get on with it, I imagine because of the shear number of miles I ride (I'm an all-year rider, already haven ridden >12k miles this year despite being laid up for a while) and not, as some people have suggested, because I ride "dodgy" :roll: (even though I have never ever ridden with said person :booty: ).

Anyway I'm very interested to see the result of this poll... and whether there is a correlation with whether you use your bike to commute or not... basically choose yes or no and whether you use your bike daily for commuting or just for fun at weekend/weeknights. EDIT - Also select whether your annual riding is >12k or not (typically 30ish miles per day).

Happy voting and happy riding during this bank holiday weekend! :cheers:

Edited by Anonymous

Maybe I need to add another option to determine how many miles per annum (on average) each voter rides... but I can't be arsed!

Thanks for voting!

The worst I've had is cagers overtaking me in 30 or 40mph zones as I do stick to the limits in towns etc. I just take them back in the next 60 zone with a friendly pip pip 8-) wouldn't say its erratic, just jealousy :mrgreen:

I see examples of bad driving on a daily basis whether I'm in my car or on my bike. But I don't commute by bike and I rarely have to filter as I only ride at weekends and try to stick to less busy roads. I always try to ride so as not to cause antagonism to other road users.

Edited by queen bodecia

P.S. I hate the term 'cager'. Some of us have to own a car for the practicality it offers that a bike simply does not. I do not view using my car as a negative experience. It is a fun utility whereas the bike is a fun toy.

I drive a bike, a car and a truck. I also tow a caravan from time to time. I also am a pedestrian who pushes a supermarket trolley ocasionaly and a cyclist.

You don't use heelies or a skateboard?

Not sure it counts but my ex and I were on our way to Cornwall and were in the middle lane of M5 and it was quiet nothing on the outside lane, overtaking a van on the inside lane...driver took offence Why? No idea, and we ended up near enough on the central barrier as the van crossed lanes and drove alongside us pinning us in :evil: scariest moment ever!

Generally speaking, I have little to report when it comes to the occasional car being awkward when I'm riding/commuting/filtering.

Obviously it happens, but it happens when I'm in the car also, I think the instances which occur when I'm ridiing, stick out in my mind because I am that much more vunerable when riding...

Not sure it counts but my ex and I were on our way to Cornwall and were in the middle lane of M5 and it was quiet nothing on the outside lane, overtaking a van on the inside lane...driver took offence Why? No idea, and we ended up near enough on the central barrier as the van crossed lanes and drove alongside us pinning us in :evil: scariest moment ever!

Definitely counts... you were riding in a safe and courteous manner and some idiot didn't like it! Sounds pretty scary... glad you escaped though :)

Generally speaking, I have little to report when it comes to the occasional car being awkward when I'm riding/commuting/filtering.

Obviously it happens, but it happens when I'm in the car also, I think the instances which occur when I'm ridiing, stick out in my mind because I am that much more vunerable when riding...

Agreed... but we're referring to when we're on the bike and not in the car :) Oh and chuffed for you that you getting your bike back dude :)

Anyway thanks for all comments/votes guys... and its pretty much as you'd expect... the majority of people who have voted have had issues with cagers despite riding in a safe and courteous manner... and its those of use who use our bikes most, no suprise!

http://www.market-speculator.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/Yawn.gif

You poll proves nothing... of course people doing more miles are going to stand more of a chance of being involved in an incident, most people will remember having some incident at some point in time, and a poll of 40 people is hardly conclusive.

You mentioned that these incidents where happening quite often, and i stand by what I originally said. Happening once and happening often are different things, and your poll does not reflect this. You are also only choosing the bits of information which backs up your silly claim.

Ride safe. Love u xx

seeing the behaviour of some car drivers today was extremely shocking! for no reason someone in a car came flying up nearly crashing into another tmbf member and then shouted abuse at us both!

Myself and stu were on the motorway last week... this stupid tosser of a biker came up behind us on the outside lane, undertook us, nearly takin off my mirror, pulled back in front, then continued weaving at very high speeds through the motorway traffic. A danger to himself and others. Maybe I should do a poll.

There are good and bad car drivers and bike riders... this thread is a waste of time, and if your gonna use it to moan about every incident that happens, it will be locked.

Sorry to hear about that, although gladly everyone is ok? Just goes to show you can never be too careful... I'm assuming that you guys did nothing to provoke him and he was just being an idiot.

It'll be interesting to see whether Vicki thinks you were riding dodgy or not :roll:

Of course, the real reasoning is that she wants everyone to advertise the forum... which I can understand its a great place, but to suggest that my reasoning for removing stickers off my bike was due to my dodgy riding is laughable :lol:

Edited by Anonymous

Bikes are small and fast and this annoys car drivers than they can be silly and filter and get away with it so even Ive had a car flick itself towards me before flicking away again just to scare me and Jin recently had someone try to run her into an island as someones pride was at stake :?

Now im sure a conclusive answer can be reached but it requires more in depth looking and extraneous variables are out the wazoo here making it virtually impossible to judge cagers on the whole using a natural setting.

Think the best judgement we can make without people starting to rip at each others throats is to accept shit happens, there are bad drivers out there that would do bad against bikers. But at the same time there are bikers giving them a reason.

End result.

Shit happens, its been provoked but the innocent always pay for the mistakes of villains. End of, move along.