Cleaning

YamahaWolf

I've started using Muc-Off products, they work quite well. After using the bike cleaner (douse the bike in water then spray that stuff all over it and clean with a sponge) I've coated my bike in Bike Protector which stinks but it makes the bike nice and shiny :D Gotta make sure you don't get it on the brake discs though.

You can get it in Halfords and can be a bit pricey, but I just got paid so I've shelled out £20 or so on a few products.

Yeah I like muc-off as well. Failing that just use any old car shampoo, but definitely not washing up liquid.

Don't use a pressure washer either unless it's on the fairings and only if you've taken them off. Some people do but I don't take the risk of forcing water into places it shouldn't go.

Use a citrus-based degreaser to get all the sh1t off like grease and black crap that gathers around the side stand, etc.

Dry with a chamois leather, a cheap one from Tesco will do. Then put some wax on. Again Tesco have a deal on the Simoniz products - buy 2 things for 4 quid or something. The spray on wax is good and won't leave white crap all over your black bits :thumb:

spend a good few hours cleaning properly like suggested above and after a while it will take only a quick wash for the bike to look amazing because it wont be that dirty and the worst of the muck has gone and only a light film is covering the bike :D

If ya want cheap alternatives, then a mild hand soap does the job quite nicely.

Rinse bike from bottom up, appply soap with soft sponge or cloth, being careful not to scratch bodywork, and then rinse from top down.

Simples !!

ps, you need elbow grease.

I did that too Dan,

tiny squirt of washing up liquid in bowl, and had a bowl of normal water as well and dunked the sponge in that too so it didn't make the bike too soapy.

Then rinse down, then a wipe with some leather and window cleaner for the shiny bits :D

Worked a treat !

tiny squirt of washing up liquid in bowl, and had a bowl of normal water as well and dunked the sponge in that too so it didn't make the bike too soapy.

Not washing up liquid, it damages the paint finish

http://www.eforecourt.com/carcare.htm

On a brighter note, the best polish I ever found for car (works equally well on a bike) is Mer. Halfords now sell it and it's really easy to use, even when the vehicle is wet!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1

Here are mine,

Over winter use FS365 to protect from corrosion

I wash my bike most weekends, but then i do a fair amount of miles during the week.

quick wash - muc-off then rinse, and I do use a pressure washer, its perfectly safe as long as you dont go mad and point the jet close to wheel bearing etc, or put the nozzle right next to decals etc, but with a bit of common sense they are fine (ride did a guide to using them a few months back)

full wash - I use muc-off to remove stubbon dirt etc, then wash the bike with auto-glym shampoo, rinse well and use parrafin on any really stubbon oil or grease on the back wheel or the chain. Chamois down the bike and leave to dry then I use muc-off miricle shine on all the paint work - or auto-glym resin polish if I am out of muc-off. I then use either gt-85, wd-40 or muc-off bike spray to lube those little bits like leaver pivots on the handlebars or stand pivots etc.

Any cheap hair shampoo for general washing. (Detergent free.)

Asda smart price multi purpose cleaner for greasy bits. One cap in a bucket of water.

Both applied with a large sponge and rinsed well. Cheap synthetic bathsponges will push into nooks and crannies and can be discarded. A washing up brush for spokes.

Autosol and electric tooth brush for tarnished metal.

Mr sheen to finish off.

Then apply cheap sunglasses to avoid blindness from shine 8-)

wet the bike, (when cold.. not straight after a ride), then wash with Car wash/bike wash i use a sheepskin mitt, fits like a glove and doesn't break up like a sponge, then rinse off.

and Dan has posted that Screenwash (Diluted) in a spray bottle sprayed at the front will remove flies with ease.. wet, leave then wash the rest of the bike and they will come off as you sponge over the area..