How to check disc runout.

Phooey

OK guys, I bought the DTI with the magnetic base and tried to check my disc runout.

Apart from finding it difficult to keep the bike perfectly still with the front wheel off the ground, I am finding it impossible just to get the damned wheel to turn without it rocking side to side. Even holding it on full lock there is still some movement. So ... tips and idea's for checking the disc runout and holding the front wheel perfectly still would be very much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

ok ..bought a front paddock stand and used my DTI to check disc run out. It is 0.2 mm which is bang on where the book suggests is typical.

What the hell do I check next. Something is definitely causing the bike to pulse when braking and I am concerned that it is going to cause a problem. Especially now I am going to be selling it!

Deffo not a simple problem. Have you checked the wheel bearing and headstock bearings for movement?

Hard spot on the outer surface of the tyre?

Callipers mounted correctly? and tightly?

Pad pins and 'anti-rattle' springs in place and working?

:scratch:

Deffo not a simple problem. Have you checked the wheel bearing and headstock bearings for movement?

Hard spot on the outer surface of the tyre?

Callipers mounted correctly? and tightly?

Pad pins and 'anti-rattle' springs in place and working?

:scratch:

All of those seem to be ok GOG. Plus it had an MOT a couple of weeks ago, surely these things would have flagged up?

I think i need a man with some knowledge to physically look at it! :?