Provisional licence category a?

Guest the100thidiot

Ok, a really stupid question, and I don't know who to ask..

I have my mod 1 booked for next week and I have just been reading the DSA website about what I need to bring with me:

* provisional licence and paper counterpart

* valid DL196

* valid theory test certificate

* valid module 1 test pass certificate when presenting for module 2 only

Ok, so I have my DL196, I passed my theory so I got that one too, I have not passed mod 1 yet so I don't need that. But, after looking at my drivers licence it doesn't appear that I actually have a provisional motorbike licence.

After digging around on the interwebs I found this:

"If your full car driving licence was issued from 1 Feb 2001 onwards, then your driving licence was issued with a full Category P Entitlement. Hence you do not need to apply for a provisional moped licence. You do however still have to do your CBT to validate the Category P entitlement and be allowed to ride a moped on the road." (Yup, I got a P on me licence)

If your licence does not have Category A on it, you must apply for a provisional motorcycle licence from the DVLA before you can start riding anything bigger than a moped." (Eeerm wheres me A?)

I have a full car licence and have the following letters on my licence - B, B1, F, K, L, N and P but no A.... so does this mean I don't actually have a motorbike provision licence :?

Can anyone help me, I'm having a blonde moment....

Your CBT 'activates' your provisional entitlement on your license, that certificate is effectively your provisional license. When you go for your test, all you need is the CBT certificate, license and counterpart and theory certificate. :thumb: good luck!

Ah phew, thanks so much people, blonde moment over :D

I had a horrible vision of me turning up for my mod 1 and some DSA bod saying no you can’t take your test you don’t have a provisional licence, that’s £10 please, now enjoy your walk home! :oops:

I hope I’m not the only person out there who thinks that motorbike licences are overly complicated. Even when I booked the mod 1 I was stumped by their terminology lol… apparently my 125 is a ‘standard bike’. Why they can’t that just say moped, 125cc and 500cc, is beyond me… :roll:

no Its unnessarily confusing, i hate explaining the hows, why, and whens of my restricted licence :lol: :lol: :lol:

basically all 2 wheeled vehicles are split into 3 groups, you have cat A which is a motorcycle more than 125cc, cat A1 which is light motorcycle and thats anything between 50-125cc (such as standard 125's, also honda C70, and C90) and cat p which is moped and thats anything less than 50cc.

when taking the test, dependant on what licence you get is dependant on what sort of bike you take the test on, "Standard bike" just means that your on a bike between 120-125cc come test time, and that will give you a restricted licence (for 2 years).

i could go on and on, but theres a gazillion guides on the interwebs on this subject if your unsure about anything :lol: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...