buying leathers

hey, so i was wondering about getting leathers. Since i only have a 125cc i was wondering is there any point firstly? I mean it might look a tad dumb having L plates and wearing leathers, but on the other hand if i do come off then they would obviously be useful.

Secondly since i am on a budget i was wondering where could i buy some cheap, ok quality leathers?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi there. First off don't worry about looking silly on a 125 in leathers, nothing wrong with that at all.

Now about buying them I would set aside as much as you possibly can to buy some decent ones. Look at about £150 for the trousers and the same for a jacket. Add on about £100 for boots and your good to go.

You could get textiles stuff cheaper though but I personally prefer leathers.

As for buying them ebay is the obvious choice but you can't try them on. Best bet is go to the NEC bike show coming up soon and haggle your kit from there. Go on the last day and see what you can get. Loads of people do this and get some incredible bargains.

Nice link Voodoo :wink:

I think theres plenty of point in buying decent protection even on a 125. Firstly you need to set aside a budget so you know how much you can spend, then just search search search. MCN have a good shopping tool to help you find what you need, letting you set budgets, clothing type etc

Also the Motorcycle and Scooter show at the NEC is coming up, you'll find plenty of deals there if you can hold out till November.

Secondly since i am on a budget i was wondering where could i buy some cheap, ok quality leathers?

Thanks in advance :)

Don't get leathers. Textiles are more waterproof, warmer, easier to look after, generally cheaper, and you definitely won't look a nob 8-)

No contest :P

I bought all my leathers on ebay. My first set were Spyke and cost £70...little too big round the waist but generally looked ok and did the job, then bought a second set, Frank Thomas for £35!! bargain, fitted a bit better. Sold the Spyke back on ebay for £60 so didn't loose to much.

Then once I had save up, bought myself my Dainese set for £200 on ebay, fitted fine and sold the Frank Thomas set for £85 so made a profit!!

Ebay is good if you make sure you get the seller to offer measurements and are able to measure yourself. As a budget option. Coming up to winter you might also get a set of leathers a bit cheaper now as its 'out of season'. To start you off it might be just the thing.

Tho obviously textiles would be better for the winter period, why not look for those on ebay too.