Mod 1 Experience

Guest miz

Just to share my Mod 1 test experience with you all, and those that are about to take it!

My test was booked in for 13.08 (weird time). We got to the test centre around 12:30, as the other guy that was testing with me was before me.

Parked up and waited for the examiner in the waiting room. Waited for about 10 minutes after the other guy. The examinier called me into a room where he checked all my documents (CBT, Theory and Licence). He then told me to go out to my bike and wait for him. By the way, my bike was parked in the bay facing outwards. Makes life that little easier!

I gloved up, got my lid on and he asked me to drive into the testing area and wait for him just inside the gate (make sure to do your lifesaver checks!). He closed the gate and then asked me to park into one of the boxes marked by green cones facing towards the fence and he will walk over to me. Made my lifesaver checks and proceeded into the box.

Don't want to bable too much as we all know what the drill is. Anyway, proceeded to do the slalom and figure of eight. All done and then he asked me to do the swerve!

I was taking my test on a Yamahah XJ6, so I knew I had the power to stay in 2nd gear. Came round the bend at about 20mph and opened the throttle. Did the swerve and stopped in the box. Then did the U turn and slow ride. No probs! Now the e-stop! OK same as before came round the bend in 2nd about 20mph, opened the throttle, saw the examiners hand go up, hit the brakes and now all I could feel was the bike fish tailing under me! Came of the brakes and then re-applied and stopped.

OK test over. Walked gingerly back to the room. He called me in and explained that I locked up the rear wheel, however because I came off it and then stopped in a safe manner he would pass me! Wooohooooo!

I really thought that I had messed it up. I had no minor faults except the lock up, so I assume he thought "everything else was ok" and passed me (but he did say it was very very close to failing).

My swereve was 57kph and e-stop 63kph.

Anyway, hope this helps someone in the future, and now looking forward to Mod 2!

My instructors told me that you could pass if you lock up as long as you release and then re-apply in a controlled manner - luckily for me I didn't have to do that, I'm not even sure if I would have the presence of mind to do it. They also said you can stall during the emergency stop as it proves you are using as much engine braking as possible.

Congratulations on passing and good luck with your mod 2.

I made a point of gently modulating the back brake on and off during the emergency stop - I figured that would be OK regardless of whether or not the back wheel ever actually locked up. Arguably that was cheating, but it seemed to work...