Life saver questions

Guest guylatham

Little confused about lifesavers!

My instructors are teaching

Observation , Signal , Manoeuvre.

So for instance when turning right

mirror check left and then right, right life saver, signal and then position bike, with a final right lifesaver just before the turn.

But on my CBT i'm sure we did mirror checks , signal, lifesaver , manoeuvre etc

But which is correct, to me would think it sense to do it CBT way... just dont want to fail for doing it wrong

Cheers

For the test (when I did it anyway) it's:

1. Check BOTH mirrors

2. Indicate right

3. Right lifesaver

4. Position closer to centre of the road

5. Final lifesaver BEFORE turning in (not as you're turning in like some people!)

I guess the reason you don't need to give a lifesaver before indicating is because you don't intend to move just yet. You give the lifesaver after the signal because the next thing is to move across.

When I did my test (only last week) I was being taught to

Mirrors - Signal - Position - Lifesafer - turn

I was taught if you are not moving over the centre line then mirror checks are fine. (as you would only be moving closer to the centre line ready for the turn, not actually over it)

I passed fine. However, stick with what they teach you I guess to ensure you pass the test

a lifesaver is at it says on the tin. an observation, that could save your life.. so use the mirrors as normal, but a quick lifesaver before deviation of route, changing course, exiting a roundabout, crossing traffic,

before turning left or exiting left a quick lifesaver for some one coming up the inside, cyclists etc..

and if changing lanes, taking a right junction etc, then a right lifesaver

But on my CBT i'm sure we did mirror checks , signal, lifesaver , manoeuvre etc

But which is correct, to me would think it sense to do it CBT way... just dont want to fail for doing it wrong

Cheers

Lifesavers - only one thing to think about, one thing to remember, one thing to dictate when/where you throw in a lifesaver... where is the threat likely to be coming from?

It really IS that simple :)

Little confused about lifesavers!

My instructors are teaching

Observation , Signal , Manoeuvre.

So for instance when turning right

mirror check left and then right, right life saver, signal and then position bike, with a final right lifesaver just before the turn.

That is correct, OSM then PSL, position, speed and look. :cheers:

I passed mod 2 at second attempt yesterday. Failure last time was mainly down to yipps at junctions caused by an obsession I had developed meaning I was life saving manouveres to death rather than looking where I needed to steer.

The original instructor encouraged late life savers "just before you turn". Trouble was when I did this - I lost track of where I was going and twice ended up almost past the correct turning point resulting in a swans neck turn. FAILED!!!

New instructor taught me how to mirror and signal slightly earlier - then do a life saver just before I moved into position (mid road or near left side) - then be looking up to make sure I had identified the exact point at which actual turn needed and what traffic situation was in front (starting to make decision -on need to foot down etc). Then 5 - 10 yards before the actual turn or stop point make one last life saver and then focus totally on making a smooth turn. On right hand turn he said that I needed to be looking into the side road I was entering (or main road I was joining) and in doing so my line of vision would include a life saver anyway.

On left turns he said that the first life saver was very oftne enough as once you have moved to the left you have blocked off any overtaking - but again should be looking into the side road just before you trurn and this again gives some degree of rear view check "through the side door" as it were.

I found this much easier and the examiner had no problems. I asked him if he was OK with junction manouveres and he said no problem at all. I found it better to cut down "excesive rear observation" and be able to spend slightly more time planning whilst making sure I knew what was going on behind.