Gonna go for it

hi chaps,

So i had a cbt when i was 16 then didnt bother carrying on after a car hit me off :( but now 23years of age im feeling like getting myself back on one.

What i was wondering is where in cardiff would be a good place to go for the full package? what prices am i expected to pay? just so i know as there is a bike susuki gsxr 600 forsale near me and i wanna buy it ready :)

Been driving cars since i was 17 and heavy goods since 18 so plenty of on road experiance :)

Thanks all

kyle

The place near me charges 420 for das including test fees, it's a 3 day course for £420. But u gotta pay for another cbt, £80, and a theory test, £31. Expect to pay around 600 to get everything done. That'll include bike and gear hire usually

Most bike training stuff seems to happen in Newport to be honest. Have a look at http://www.umat.co.uk and give them a ring about prices. I did it with them and apart from one or two ego's in the instruction team and the fact you have to pay for damage you cause to the bike they got me through everything just fine. Do a bit of googling if you wanna shop around, pretty sure there are a few more in Newport and a couple based in Cwmbran too.

A gixxer is probably a bit more bike than a lot of people would suggest for a first ride after the test, and you'll probably be shot down by huge insurance quotes so check out running costs before you take the plunge. From the advise I've collected it seems to be a better idea to ride something a bit less extreme (lower insurance group) for a year to get a NCB, then when everything gets cheaper, go for the bike you really want. :cheers:

Thanks for the advice there m8, ill certainly look in to umat, found one in caerphilly and they charge 450 i think it was for 3 days and tests so that would be fine for me... regarding the gixxer it'll be fine insurance wise as ive priced it up found one at 500 odd, but id be more than happy to go up to 1000 if needs a must.

Thanks for the advice there m8, ill certainly look in to umat, found one in caerphilly and they charge 450 i think it was for 3 days and tests so that would be fine for me... regarding the gixxer it'll be fine insurance wise as ive priced it up found one at 500 odd, but id be more than happy to go up to 1000 if needs a must.

I'm not exactly an experienced biker (understatement) but given a choice if I was dead set on a really focused super/sport I'd definitely start off with the 600 for a while. The 50bhp 500cc twin training bike felt hellish enough to me after full throttling a 125 everywhere, let alone 170 odd bhp going to the ground from a gix1000.

Personally my plan is to ride a Bandit6 or something for a while before dipping a cautious toe into the realms of really quick bikes. Saying that I've heard plenty of people doing their DAS's and hopping straight on the most bonkers machine they can get their mitts on with few problems. You've just gotta stay aware of your safety I guess.

That UMT place will book you a theory test if you decide to go with them :cheers:

EDIT: Just realised that you almost definitely meant 1000 quid for insurance and not 1000cc... Doh! Wouldn't be surprised if it went higher than that to be honest!

hehe yeh a 600cc not a 1000cc :)

I might try that umt, as they do the cbt in llanishan on weekends, and i live in thornhill so ideal :)

Just gonna have to give them a ring hopfully they can beat the price ive got in caerphilly ;P

If you haven't already, have a scan through the questions in the back of a copy of 'learn to ride' or something because there are quite a few bike specific questions that aren't too obvious. The hazard bit is the same deal though as far as I could tell. Good luck!