Engine noise change

houltmac

I have an issue which is really worrying for me since I have no idea about mechanics. I rode about 100 miles today without issue, but on the way back I had to kinda rag it to get there on time (I was still over an hour late).

Just before I got to my destination I noticed a change in the sound of the engine. It's much louder than before and it's much deeper, more croaky. It has that hog rumble under it and it doesn't feel smooth in low revs. It also has little bottom end power, and requires the earlier gear changes to feel right again. It's most noticeable in 1st/2nd and in second there is a definite vibration which sounds like something metal.

All looks okay to my untrained eye and nothing was done to the thing, it just changed while I was riding it down some 50/60mph B-road twisties (in second and third gear mostly). The only other thing was that I filled up from a backroad petrol station, but it's attached to a biker hangout so I doubt it's bad.

Any ideas to put my mind at rest? It's under warranty and I'll be heading straight there tomorrow, but of course I am worried.

Just before I got to my destination I noticed a change in the sound of the engine. It's much louder than before and it's much deeper, more croaky. It has that hog rumble under it and it doesn't feel smooth in low revs. It also has little bottom end power, and requires the earlier gear changes to feel right again. It's most noticeable in 1st/2nd and in second there is a definite vibration which sounds like something metal.

Oil level?

Coolant?

I checked the oil just the other day and it was fine. I also thought the same thing (because it's one of the only things I know how to do) when I got back and it looked okay. Perhaps time for an oil change? Around 2000 miles in 5 weeks... No idea if the oil was really changed (as I was told it would be) before I picked it up. I assumed it had new oil/filter as they said since it took 4 days to "service" before I picked it up.

That said, I don't remember the fairing bolt being missing before the service either.

The warranty was extended, it's an 07. Just shy of 10k and only previous owner was the dealership.

Change the oil and filter...

If you check your manual it'll probably say the oil should be changed every 600miles or something :shock:

Also check your clutch free play etc?

Also note that a warm engine will be louder than a cool engine, perhaps you have only just noticed it ?

Nah you won't need to change it every 600 miles...but like you mentioned it may not have been changed even though they said it had.

If it is oil perhaps it's clutch slip, either because of what's been said about clutch freeplay not being enough or wrong oil/fully synth. Make sure you put semi-synth in next time (unless the manual recommends otherwise).

As for clicking noises I'd still be inclined to check for exhaust leaks. It's probably not the exhaust, but if it is at least you'll know and it's easy to check! A mechanical clicking noise can sometimes come from a small hole in the zorst.

If it were me I'd get a big screw driver and do the stethoscope trick - run the bike for a bit so it's warm and idling nicely, then put the handle of a long screw driver to your ear and put the business end on to various parts of the engine. You'll be able to hear the inner workings and locate said clicking noise. Also try each exhaust downpipe (that's how I located my problem a while back!) but don't worry if you hear the valves tapping away.

http://ed-thelen.org/1401Project/CT-1403Stethoscope-01-.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I checked the manual and it says - periodic maintenance:

Engine oil - yearly or 7000 miles

Oil filter - yearly or 7000 miles

Coolant - 3 years or 24000 miles

(yes, it's miles not k's).

It's way too dark in my garage to do anything now, and the bike sounds okay (a little louder, but basically okay) at idle. It all seems to be in the revs/drive.

I hope it couldn't have anything to do with the chain? I cleaned/lubed it last weekend and haven't done that many miles, but it has been yucky out. Looked okay to me earlier but then again I have no idea what I am doing ;)

Still, hoping the dealer will tell me "it's this stupid" and I can go about my business.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/sFun_doh2.gif

Sorry Colin did I say something that exasperated you?

The guy's just asked for help and all we can do is offer ideas, it's up to him if he takes them or not.

Good luck with it at the dealer's mate, I hope you get it sorted sharpish.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know it's all stab in the dark stuff, but simply talking about it a little has made me feel a little better until I get a final answer tomorrow. Scary stuff when the first bike you actually buy yourself sounds so wrong after only 5 weeks.

I would suggest a good check of your exhaust, sounds like it either has a hole in it, or more likely that the downpipe has come loose from the head. This would cause the same symptoms.

I would suggest a good check of your exhaust, sounds like it either has a hole in it, or more likely that the downpipe has come loose from the head. This would cause the same symptoms.

:stupid:

also check to see i fits running on both cylinders and not just the one and picking up at higer revs

but I really hope it's not a cylinder. I don't know anything about engines, but that sounds major and long term.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

not as bad as you think could just be a bad connection on the plug and not firing properly :wink:

the main thing you have to think of is the engine runs and hasnet gone bang :)

Thanks to all for your help. Sadly the shop aren't open on Sundays (that's madness to me but seems common around here).

I took it down first thing this morning and had a mechanic listen to it. "Yep, that's a new exhaust you need there" he said, then he bent down and had a look. I still can't see anything, but he seems happy enough to quote me. I mentioned it's only 5 weeks since I bought it from them, with their 2 year warranty but he didn't seem impressed. Between the corrosion argument and the fact that he says it's getting common with the model (who am I to argue?) it could class as a manufacturing defect and again, that would exclude it.

All in I can't blame him. I have been in the same position and since he doesn't know me from Adam he's covering his ass. He took my details and said he'd get the boss to call me but it's okay to ride. I have parked it in the garage for now since it's less than fun (even a little scary to ride). I couldn't wait for the call so I called them and got a slightly hysterical and garbled response but again, I've had crazy days and it seemed like that's all it was.

I emailed the salesman who sold it to me (I bumped into him as I left the dealership and he was very apologetic) and he's forwarded it to the service manager to get the bike booked in. I will hopefully be getting a loaner bike too (/me hopes for the ZX6!).

I take it that means they can just weld it under warranty. I really hope so or I won't be riding for a long time since I am totally skint and supposed to be saving!

Getting this back on track, and finalising the whole thing...

I picked my bike up at lunch today. It's all fixed and working well. Overall I left it at the garage for under 24 hours and I was given a free loaner during that time. They had no qualms once they realised I bought it from them and had purchased a 2 year warranty.

A very friendly, polite and prompt service and I can't speak highly enough of Frasers of Gloucester for their overall customer service.

I am glad to have her back!