Lifesavers.... for omegared :)

"lifesaver" Is a way a biker checks their blindspot it is a quick rear glance over the shoulder and always a good idea to use....

Well,a lifesaver is known as a final quick glance that bikers use these before indicating to change lanes and before they turn off a main road to a minor road...etc..

IE."quick lifesaver check over the left shoulder to make sure no push bikes are at the side of you before you turn into the road"

A Lifesaver is a skill a biker is taught on there CBT (Compulsary Basic Training) when they first start to ride, they are to make sure there is no other vehicle at the side of you whilst you try to turn right or left...

Waiting to turn right, a biker sits so far to the right that cars can pass on the left but its always a good idea to check over your right shoulder before moving off as other vehicles may dicide to overtake the biker on the right.... (it does happen)

To turn left, a biker loks in left mirror puts on indicator then before the biker leans into the turn they take a left "lifesaver" to make sure they are not turning into a pushbiker...

The "lifesaver" is always a good idea to use when changing lanes too...

They are called "lifesaver" for a reason and they have saved me on roundabouts allot of times... "before exiting a roundabout take a quick left gance to make sure your exit is clear"

A lifesaver may also be used to look around you when stood stationary at trafic lights.....and also used before moving off from the trafic lights.....

Lifesavers should be done whenever necessary. When turning right always look over your right shoulder. You must have a clear picture of what is going on behind you. Remember rear observations include using lifesavers to get a view of your blind spots (areas not visible in your mirrors). A common mistake is performing a life-saver without knowing what you are looking for. You should perform rear observations:

Every 5 or 6 seconds (mirrors) to get a view of traffic following you.

Before you change speed (e.g. going from a 30 mph limit to a National)

Before you change direction (e.g. turning left or right).

Before you stop or pull over except when performing an emergency stop.

Before you change position in the road (e.g. moving into the centre when approach a junction, to improve your visibility).

There ya go hope this helps

Keep safe xxx

Nice post ragdoll :thumb: There's only a couple of bits I'd change...

Well,a lifesaver is known as a final quick glance that bikers use these before indicating to change lanes and before they turn off a main road to a minor road...etc..

Actually a lifesaver is given after indicating, unless it's when turning in to a junction or on a roundabout (see below) when it's the second lifesaver in a sequence (i.e. when turning right at a junction: mirror, signal, right lifesaver, position, right lifesaver, pull into junction, accelerate)

They are called "lifesaver" for a reason and they have saved me on roundabouts allot of times... "before exiting a roundabout take a quick left gance to make sure your exit is clear"

Quite right. However it depends on the roundabout - a larger, multi-laned roundabout may require a right shoulder check as well (i.e. whilst turning right on a 3 laned roundabout, at the exit before yours mirror, signal, left lifesaver, position to left lane, consider a right lifesaver for anyone exiting late and cutting you up)

Even though there have been lots of threads posted about lifesavers and the like that can be searched for I think it's good to have fresh threads every now and then. For anyone taking their CBT although it's important that you get into the habit and routine of using lifesavers appropriately I don't think it should be something to worry about. Your instructor will cover all of this with you, and it may seem hard to understand now but in time and with practice it becomes second nature...do not worry about it (only worry when it's for your test)!

Nice post ragdoll :thumb: There's only a couple of bits I'd change...

Actually a lifesaver is given after indicating, unless it's when turning in to a junction or on a roundabout (see below) when it's the second lifesaver in a sequence (i.e. when turning right at a junction: mirror, signal, right lifesaver, position, right lifesaver, pull into junction, accelerate)

Quite right. However it depends on the roundabout - a larger, multi-laned roundabout may require a right shoulder check as well (i.e. whilst turning right on a 3 laned roundabout, at the exit before yours mirror, signal, left lifesaver, position to left lane, consider a right lifesaver for anyone exiting late and cutting you up)

Even though there have been lots of threads posted about lifesavers and the like that can be searched for I think it's good to have fresh threads every now and then. For anyone taking their CBT although it's important that you get into the habit and routine of using lifesavers appropriately I don't think it should be something to worry about. Your instructor will cover all of this with you, and it may seem hard to understand now but in time and with practice it becomes second nature...do not worry about it (only worry when it's for your test)!

Cheers mate, i dont mind been wrong thank's for correcting :)

Raggy xx

LIFESAVER - a quick glance in the direction of any traffic that could potentially kill you, so its not a general observation, but a quick check for something coming up the inside or outside especially when you are changing direction of travel. (inside for left, outside for right) (unless riding abroad)...

Failed theory today put back in for next week.

c.bt booked for Sat.I've learnt exactly what to do regards lifesavers off this post .

The thing is I found out with theory, everything has changed in 20 years since I last had a bike.

Anyone done theory latlely,whats that case study all about," Your delivering pizzas at night its wet and windy etc " then 3 totally unrelated questions 1 of them was "If you drop your helmet its badly scratched and damaged what should you do" did'nt know if it meant still deliver the pizza, or in general,at the end your asked to do 14 more questions for market research,got told to leave that bit cos they were choca.

Got to say it was the click bit I messed up on passed the multiple o.k can't seem to time it, too early/ late,

worst was loads of young lads with me done it o.k,back to the drawing board for next week. :?

Thank you!

I knew to do this and kept getting told off in my training up to my test.. :roll:

Good thread Raggers :thumb:

Thank you!

I knew to do this and kept getting told off in my training up to my test.. :roll:

Good thread Raggers :thumb:

Your very welcome hunny :) Thank's to Pete to for putting me right :)

Failed theory today put back in for next week.

c.bt booked for Sat.I've learnt exactly what to do regards lifesavers off this post .

The thing is I found out with theory, everything has changed in 20 years since I last had a bike.

Cool, That mean's allot to me...I am so pleased i could help you lingy3 best of luck with your theory and practical.

Ride safe all, pleased i could help :)

I am going to bed a happy raggy tonight! :cheers: :mrgreen:

Ragger's xxxxx