buying new lid

simple one this how much would the individuals on here spend on a new lid...

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5307/bhjygwbmkkgrhqyheesmucc.jpg

been looking at these but never spent £199 on a lid before

Been said before, but fit is more important than cost/make.

£200 is a decent price, Shark are a good brand. If it fits and you are happy then go for it. It'll be on your bonce for 5 years so make sure it's comfy!

I think i disagree with the idea that price = protection with regards to helmets. There may or may not be some form of correlation (never have seen any proper independent research papers into it) but i'm under the impression that if you buy purely on spending the most you will be peeing money away on something that's not necessarily the wisest or indeed, most protective, choice. I'm aware that alot of shops try to get you to spend more by saying things like "What price do value your head.......?", but these people are after all, sales people, trying to get you to spend more money in their shop. So i've always taken it with a little pinch of salt.

Fit is first, indeed. But you also will find you pay more for fancy/racing paint jobs (can be quite alot more. If you manage to find a helmet with, for example a "Rossi" colour scheme, and a plain black colour scheme you'll see the exact amount extra you were paying for the Rossi paint job), lighter (less weight) helmets, better dealer support and after-care services (thinking about how Arai appear to look after their customers), fog-free features (breath masks, pinlock/pinlock-ready, anti-mist coatings etc), ventilation, removable/washable linings, ACU "racing" approval, "quieter" helmets, chin curtains and of course the R&D that goes into each and every one of these optional features (some of which, if you need/want are genuinely great and will doubtlessly improve safety, but if you don't need it, you're still paying for it in the price).

As a non-expert, looking purely at protection - the only things i can think of that are safe to go on, is what you see (how well it looks put together), the brand reputation/reviews, and the SHARP test ratings as that's the only way i, as a consumer, have to differentiate all these helmets in a fair/more objective way.

To answer the OP: I'm a student, (and money is very short) - but i do need a new lid and i know the HJC CL-ST fits me (current helmet - RRP £110) and so i'm tempted to go for it again. But i have been trying on every possible relevant helmet in the shops because i am looking for the single best fitting one. And provided there's no alarm bells going off (poor build quality or 1 star in the SHARP test), that'll be the one i buy - it looks like it's going to be an Arai or a Shark (haven't tried them yet) as none of the other brands fitted well. I'll spend probably £250 if i have to - after all i don't think "skimping" on head protection is wise. I really hope i don't though. With limited means, i spent over £100 (not much i guess, but it was/is to me) on my girlfriend's Shark helmet (a year ago, and we've still yet to use it :bang: ), because it fitted the best. I was really hoping to spend less, but i again was looking for the best fit and that helmet was it. That and i didn't want her to have the SHARP 1 star HJC CS-R1 Samurai helmet that also fitted well.

Guest philgale

my list

Nitro IOM tt 25th anniversary lid 120

shoei about 200

another shoei 180 i think

latest, arai hago limited edition rep 500 notes....

the arai is by far the best out of the lot, and if i had the money i would spend 500 again on one

Does anyone know if there's any correlation between price and soundproofing? I've not really got much experience with helmets (no jokes please!) so don't know which ones would be best for soundproofing or if there's much difference between makes.

I usually spend around £200 but my Shoei was £300 because I wanted the multi-sport type of helmet and they are all around that price or more (Arai one was £400+).

As others have said - its the fit that is all important.

First one was around £49, next level was £149 then when I got my new job and a few grand a year more I got an Arai for £450 (got it on 0% finance over 10 months so I saved on the interest. Still got it after two and a half years and a great lid. Techno`s right though, out of /end of season ones go for a lot less than when they are first introduced onto the market.

Build quality/materails as well as fit is also important.

Does anyone know if there's any correlation between price and soundproofing? I've not really got much experience with helmets (no jokes please!) so don't know which ones would be best for soundproofing or if there's much difference between makes.

This is another tough one because again soundproofing can be as much about fit as the design can.

Id like to buy myself this helmet please, where can I find one?

What everyone else said... spend as much or as little as you want... just make sure it fits :)

My current helmets are Arai Viper GT £350 and HJC CL-ST Myth (or someit like that) thats worth £100 but I bought it bargain price (new) £35.

Id like to buy myself this helmet please, where can I find one?

Shark S900 Fost Lumi Glow in the Dark

Fitted with Photo Lumi Paint Charges in 20 mins glows all night

Shell made from injected thermoplastic resin.

Multi-element internal shock-absorber with differentiated density.

Airflow directed by integrated ducts.

Anti-scratch 2.2 mm visor - Total Vision Anti-fog visor

Slide Lock quick release visor system

Racing upper ventilation system using multi-point air intake and “Venturi” deflector.

Stainless steel vent protection spelt grills.

Fully Removable Interior Lining in microfibre fabric.

Quick release chinstrap (Microlock)

External anti-UV lacquer finish.

Weight: 1420g (± 50g).

Internal Anti-scratch Sun visor (uv protected) Fitted

Anti-turbulence system, spoiler fitted

Google Shark S900 Lumi (Uk) for suppliers...

forgot to add... that shark helmet look great, has an internal visor as well which is always good... had a loog at the caberg flip and whilst it didnt fit i liked the idea of not having to wear sunglasses or change my visor when required

What everyone else said... spend as much or as little as you want... just make sure it fits :)

My current helmets are Arai Viper GT £350 and HJC CL-ST Myth (or someit like that) thats worth £100 but I bought it bargain price (new) £35.

How quiet is the Arai Viper GT? Looks a classy comfy lid ! I've got a Shoei xr1000 at present and almost bought the red/white Bando Viper last Sunday.

IMO its quieter than my Arai Astro R and a lot quieter than my HJC lids... but tbh I'm not really a good person to ask... I ride with my visor open a notch due to glasses, and also wear plugs :)

Its a great lid (I also have the Banda) and would buy another.