Brakes and winter :D

skatefreak

Hey,

So in preperation for the head gasket i'v cleaned the engine up and started looking over the bike itself, cleaning the frame, took the back break levers out, clean to free up and re-grease, going to clean and re-grease the chain and check out the suspension and anything else anyone can suggest before i get back to the engine :)

Now i'v been thinking about bleeding the breaks for a while because the fluid is a little dark and i recon the breaks could do with a little attention due to the age of the bike but they are and have been fairly responsive since i got the bike until today.

Infact i tried to just push the bike and engineless it practically endoed...

Mes thinks the breaks be seized.

So after scouring the internets muchos i am yet to find any information thats very useful soooo, i was wondering if the wiser people out there could give me some ideas as to what action i should take.

I have tomorow free to investigate and am planning to pull the caliper off the disk and have a tinker about, my local bikey shop is closed but i may consider getting some break fluid and taking out the pads and looking at the pistons.

Would this be worth just taking them appart and having a look?

how much can i get done without going to the shop for supplies (fluid, pads, seals/gaskets)?

Would it be worth getting some new gaskets, pads & fluid and doing a complete overhaul of the breaks just to be on the safe side?

The bike is a good 11 years old, its been standing outside through this cold winter for a good 2 months (maybe they arnt seized, just a litte stuck heh).

Anywho, i'm quite keen to have a good look at it as they are kind of important and i'd like to get back on as soon as i can get the engine sorted!

any thoughts would be much appreicated :)

Best regards

-Jvr

undo the front calipers and slide free of the disc, if they are difficult to slide free then they need attention.. as you are changing the fluid, remove the calipers into the warm, and put milk bottles over the lines to collect the brake fluid, be careful as if this stuff gets on tyres/paint and is left it will corrode through, so wash off any splashes immediately.

before removing the calipers from the lines pump the brake lever (with pads in this will push the pistons out so you can clean them.. (they don't retract as well if corroded..)

if the come off easily then inspect the pads, change if required..

i'm doing this at present..

same with the rear (unless its a drum) then remove the wheel and inspect,

A haynes manual will guide you through what you need to do,

i'll post some pics when i get home..

Hey,

cheers for the info there :)

I jst got in to find this post and have jst had a go at the breaks :)

Although this bike is old and hasnt gone to far it looks like the pads arnt warn down to far but considering they look reaaallllyyyy old and half a pad jst fell off the plate, i think i'll replace :)

The pistons look to be in good nick, a little dirt on them which just wiped off but they move freely... well kind of lol, as freely as a hydrolic system will alow :)

I'm happy with the caliper itself though, it looks to be good, will get some fluid and drain out the old whilst topping up with new to avoid getting air in there (or so i have read).

one last issue is whoever last put the break pads in really fooked the bolt/shaft that goes trough them and it took me a fair while to get it out (stripped hex so i tried the indented hex's and then just a flat head screw driver lol).

I am hoping it can be replaced but as its just one wierd screw kind of thing i fear it may be tricky to get hold of :| No way i'm putting it back in there though so will have to look into it.

I am supprised at how sparse information on all of this seems to be online but maybe i should look to some haynes manuals etc.

Its always nice to hear about how someone it getting on with simular projects, maybe i should get some pictures and throw some up?

It would be really good to get a section added to the forum maybe where people could post write ups about maintinence they do on their own bikes and others will then have an idea of how/what they can go about doing with their bikes :)

Again, thanks for the reply :)

Best regards

-Jvr

I replaced all my pads/shoes today (after about 12 diffrent sets) Stupid EBC Book is wrong, PGO brakes are (PIAGGIO SETS)

Anyways replaced all pads/shoes with EBC Brakes! :)

Well impressed with the diffrence from the "standered factory" to something a little better quality! :)

Well,

New pads are in and all looks good there...

Still just struggling like heck with the engine to get the bloody thing moving to i can enjoy the new break pads :(

Will throw a post up about it tomorow if i get no joy from the carb cleaner :|

-JVr