How to clean my engine, and my attempt at an exhaust repair

Guest CobbZ

Hi all, just looking for some advice on how to clean my engine? I'm looking to sell this bike in the next month or two, soon as i've done my mod2 (and enjoy being able to take pillions for a while :P).

So needs to be tip top :)

So heres what my engine looks like atm;

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/CobbZ_2006/1-4.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/CobbZ_2006/2-2.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/CobbZ_2006/3-3.jpg

That white kinda stuff is so hard to get off! I found i could get some off by scraping it with a knife :o But obv i dont wanna scratch the thing to hell. I want it looking nice and shiny for summer! lol.

So any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks all!

And heres my first attempt at fixing the hole in my exhaust;

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/CobbZ_2006/4-3.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/CobbZ_2006/photo-1.jpg

Just need to get some exhaust putty for air-tightness and extra support, but i couldn't feel anything coming out around that hole so i think its a good'un.

Wanted to saw the screw down more, but i couldn't find a saw thats strong enough, and small enough, meh :)

That white kinda stuff is so hard to get off!

That white stuff is aluminium oxide. This is where the lacquer has come away. No easy fix, I would gently rub with scotchbrite and then use autosol to polish it up. It is not going to be easy and it will need regular attention.

Love the exhaust repair, one to remember.

Hey,

Not to put down your repair job there but hows about using the top end of the bolt, cut it down a little way from the head and just use that end :)

tiney bolt with a head for easy access and maybe help seal the hole a little?

Just a thought though.

On cleaning up the engine, i have jst done mine over, the white stuff is a tricky one to get off, if you have a little spair time i found warm water, a toothbrush or two and LOTS of washing up liquid will get all the dirt off but as far as where the finnish on the engine has gone, it would be more of a restoration job to be honest :|

If your looking to sell, maybe check the oil, break fluid, chain, break pads and such, give the bike a good going over and if its all in check or you sort out any little issues then you can confidentally ask a resonable price and mention in the sale that the bike has been looked over and prepared for a new owner (maybe considered a little over the top but in my opinion it should bring a better price for a little work on the bike :)

So yeah, maybe a little more work this way round but very satisfying and enjoyable to do :)

Let us know how you get along!

Best regards

-Jvr

on the casings try that scottoiler stuff ACF ??? after a bit of elbow grease and autosol...

with Skatefreak use the head of the bolt, less likely to snag your trousers that way.. apply some firegum to the bolt to provide a seal..

I have now covered the hole and bolt with exhaust putty :) Its recommended to leave the bike overnight for it to fully seal, so i'm just leaving it now :)

Would indeed have been a good idea to use the top of the bolt, but i couldn't find a way to hold the bolt while i cut it, and it was so difficult to get it into the exhaust, its more than tight enough, especially now with the putty too.

So as far as the engine goes, its not worth it?

How about a re-spray maybe? I've seen that paint that is heat resistant to 500c...

Oxidisation wont clean off so accept its an old bike showing its age or paint it,?Halfords do engine paint in rattle cans,but to get it looking good the engine should really come out,rubbed down with W&D cleaned with panel wipe so every spec of dirt has been removed then primed and painted

A buyer will accept the finish if the rest of the bike is mechanicaly sound,a half hearted attempt to paint it will dampen the sale as will a newly painted engine and the rest of the bike showing its age catch 22 in my view

I have now covered the hole and bolt with exhaust putty :) Its recommended to leave the bike overnight for it to fully seal, so i'm just leaving it now :)

Would indeed have been a good idea to use the top of the bolt, but i couldn't find a way to hold the bolt while i cut it, and it was so difficult to get it into the exhaust, its more than tight enough, especially now with the putty too.

So as far as the engine goes, its not worth it?

How about a re-spray maybe? I've seen that paint that is heat resistant to 500c...

you can cut a bolt with a hacksaw , just hold one end with mole grips, or a vice..

would look much better IMO, or get a smaller length bolt...

Don't wanna pee on the bonfire, but if the hole around the bolt rots you could have a lethal projectile under the pressure of the exhaust gases.

consider ur bonfire pissed on and put out by the fire brigade hahaha

Don't wanna pee on the bonfire, but if the hole around the bolt rots you could have a lethal projectile under the pressure of the exhaust gases.

as its a bolt hole for a heat shield it should have a nut on the inside in which to secure to..

sr125.JPG.35cd7fbaa30aaf3807e5a560718ac99a.JPG