Helmet Speakers

I would like to get some headphones to mount inside my helmet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's hot and what's not, I want something like this, but at £2.58 somehow I don't think it's going to have the best sound quality in the world!

Thanks!

Be careful, some ar*ehole coppers will try and do you for undue care and attention if you have headphones in listening to music.

Stupid but some coppers really hate bikers and will try and do you for the smallest things

Be careful, some ar*ehole coppers will try and do you for undue care and attention if you have headphones in listening to music.

Stupid but some coppers really hate bikers and will try and do you for the smallest things

No they wont, if its against the law they will but thats the law! :roll:

If it's hifi quality sound you're after then by in ear headphones. If it's just to hear a bit of music over the road noise then try these. What do you have to lose trying these? It's only a few quid.

I did use a pair of Sennheiser CX300s which have great sound quality for the price but the problem with them is they deteriorate so quickly (I've gone through 4 pairs of them). Not to mention that getting a proper fit with the helmet and ear-buds is a fiddly business. Plus I only ever really use my iPod when I ride so I'd rather have an integrated solution with the least amount of hassle.

I may try the ones I linked to if no-one else has any suggestions, we'll see.

I think the law regarding use of headphones is that they cannot be 'in ear'? Over ear headphones are fine I think, the training schools and even the DSA use them for the tests?

Is this true?

So earplugs? Car radios? Profoundly deaf people (a particularly good example as they can hear nothing)? All banned?

Or is it just a case of an idiot cop who doesn't actually know the statute surrounding the issue, trying it on? After all, they can arrest you for what they like - what matters is whether it's got a firm basis in law and sticks in court - or not.

Both me and my mate have been told this when police pulled up behind us when they chatted with us.

It could of just been a copper with a grudge, or just having a bad day

The thing with the police is that, individually they don't know all that many laws just the common ones, but they do know their own opinions. Some of them will say things that sound as though they are spouting the law when really they are spouting either their opinion or what they think is the law. I had this quite a lot when working the doors however, because there was a fine line between doing my job and doing something that could get me arrested I learnt all I had to know about the small section of law relating to reasonable force, detaining people, licensing laws etc. It was also fun to use the requisite acts, sections and sub-sections in conversations with 'law students' who were trying to explain they knew the law better than me. You'd be surprised at how little individual police officers know. This isn't me slagging them off as to be honest there's an awful lot of legislation they'd need to learn to know it all.

But what I'm trying to say is, just because a copper says something is a particular way it doesn't mean it is.

I am not sure if this is what you are after but i have moulded ear plugs, made by DB Blocker. I also bought a second set that are moulded to take the ER6i bud. Basically you remove the earpiece and push the ER6i into the moulded earpiece. you get the benefit of ear protection with the great sound of the ER6i's. They really tuck into the ear plugs.

i have these if you want them,they velcro inside the lid and the jack plug velcro's on the outside of the lid its easy then when you take your lid off there is also a volume control and a clip,i brought them a while back and only used them a couple of times i didnt really get on with music as i rode,pm me your address if you want them ill bung em in the post for ya :wink:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/gavskin05/SDC10001-2.jpg

If he dooesnt bite your hand off with them, I would be more than happy to take them off your hands! Where did you get them from?

posted them today....i cant remember where i got them as it was a while back sorry :wink:

I bought the ones in the first post link, sew the Velcro bit into my balaclava and just Velcro them in when I want em. Not bad sound and loud enough. Just, if yr helmet is particularly tight, they're uncomfortable.

:? never did hear if he got them or if they were any good......not even a pm to say thanks! gave them away and posted for free..................live and learn! :evil:

It's typical mate, i would of snapped your hand off. Would of came in great for when using my GPS!!

:? never did hear if he got them or if they were any good......not even a pm to say thanks! gave them away and posted for free..................live and learn! :evil:

Shit sorry mate I totally forgot about that! :oops:

Thanks so much for sending them! They work well you've just got to get the positioning in the helmet right.

Again, sorry sorry sorry! Thanks! :oops: :D

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.fiio.com.cn/en/showproduct.asp?id=316

Ive just bought one of these from Amazon for just over £15, tried it in my helmet tonight.

I had my speakers, which are basically panasonic headphones with all the plastic taken off, popped under the padding next to my ears. I then had ear plugs in and a balaclava over the top. My helmet isnt the quietest (Shark lumi glo) and I could hear my music very loud and very clearly up to 70 mph, I strongly suspect that it would still be clear at 100mph for riding in Europe.