Nurburgring

I am planning a trip to the Nurburgring in the summer, myself, a gixxer 1000 and a Z4 motorsport, in july or around then, has anyone been before? firstly how many days is best to go for, I live in the midlands and secondly is there any particular month that is best?

The main point of the trip is a gentle ride there and back with maybe a day or two there, for a good blasting!!!!

Is there any special insurance I require and anyone who has been where did you stay???

Guest philgale

i stayed at the hotel am tiagarten (or something like that) its about 5 mins from the ring itself had has a wicked place to eat under it, does a sweet fillet steak :mrgreen:

i did it for a 3 day trip, day 1 drove down to around london, found a travel lodge for about 15 quid a night, then drove all the way to the ring from there. had a passenger lap in a bmw m3 which was sweet, then my turn to go, 3 quarters of the way round turbo went bang :roll: so that was my trip over with :lol:

you will need to do at least 2 days, riding all that when then expecting to ride round the track with other bikes and cars is a little dangerous IMO not the best idea considering it will take you about 10 hours or so to get there i would of thought.

im thinking of going at some point this year, but i think me and my bro are gonna do the california superbike school instead as a ring trip isnt cheap.

dont forget european breakdown cover....

Im going the ring mid April this year, theres 5 of us. Check what times its open to the public as it looks like its only Sunday you can do all day, otherwise not until after 530pm. From what I understand you cant get insurance for your bike around the ring, dont know if you can pay extra for race insurance but Ive not heard of anything similar. Its 22 euros a lap and to be honest were only doing it as were off to Prague anyway, I dont think its the best place to do a few days track riding as it sounds very dangerous and your very vunerable if you crash

Guest philgale

re: insurance, technically you are insured and the ring is still a german highway (there is a speed limit on one part of it) so if you do bin it in theory you are covered, just if the insurance company say your racing etc etc...i wouldnt say 100% your covered but the only reason is they will think its a "race track" and not just the best toll road that takes you nowhere :lol:

or do what most people did and when you get picked up by KF bongard (sp) they will write a report and just ask them to say nurberg (and not ring) so if the insurance company get a bit of a pain the recovery guys picked you up in the area and not actually on the ring ;)

ive rode it. Wait till june as it rains frequently there. Dont think you can learn the course by video footage. Treat it as an unknown road. There are lots of crests some of which have tight bends after them. For a fast lap offer to pay for a local bikers toll then stay about a hundred meters behind him. Back off when he backs off and gun it over crests when he guns it. Just make sure your line is identical ! If you crash and damage the armco its expensive. Get some breakdown cover. The pistonklopf is a good night out.

Done it a few times on the way to Mugello, Brno and Sachsenring. Its a good laugh but fing dangerous if you give it the beans. I spent most of the time taking cars on the straights but having to watch out for them coming back at me on the corners and some of them don't give a bollox about your line. As its so huge you can have a partly damp lap which is a little hair raising but fun. All in all a very enjoyable experience but one its best to ride away from with a bike still in one piece.

a very enjoyable experience but one its best to ride away from with a bike still in one piece.

i cant think of many experiences where it'd be very good to walk away from with your bike in more than one piece...if i'm honest :lol:

Take it easy, its a very simple to get sucked in to the flow of the track, and then SHIT the tracks gone right and you have set up a lefty. Done two laps. I would say you need 20 laps to get any idea of whats next, i think its 173 bends, 2 banked harpins, 15 kms long and 1 straight. Take it steady mate, its a scary place!!!!

enjoy

P.S if they shut the track to pick you up, it costs you £1000s in a fine, for lost revenue.......

ive rode it. Wait till june as it rains frequently there. Dont think you can learn the course by video footage. Treat it as an unknown road. There are lots of crests some of which have tight bends after them. For a fast lap offer to pay for a local bikers toll then stay about a hundred meters behind him. Back off when he backs off and gun it over crests when he guns it. Just make sure your line is identical ! If you crash and damage the armco its expensive. Get some breakdown cover. The pistonklopf is a good night out.

nice avatar!

whats the pistonklopf and where will i find it?

ha ha ! Thanks. Its in nurburg (just off the Blankenheim rd) just one of the local pubs that have music on and do a bit of food. The locals are a friendly bunch and most of them speak english. Lots of english bikers come a cropper on the ring by trying to be a hero. The locals all know the way around it so it pays to tag onto a bike. The track is great there are changes of surface, changes in gradient, changes in camber and generally speaking all you need is 100 bhp, this amount of power is well suited to the environment.watch out if you have more ! Keep an eye in your mirrors for super cars and ring taxis and let them past. Best car for the circuit ? A lotus. You ll see loads of them

Ive just phoned my insurance company, MCE (please note, other insurance companies are avialable) I am apparently insured to ring the Nurburgring as long as its not in a race or for time trials! covered fully comp for it too which is good news, not that Im planning on crashing of course but then who does...

I don't know much about this, but I have seen insurance policies which exclude use on the ring....check yours over carefully

Yup check your policy wording carefullly as i renewed may car insurance last month and they included a policy wording correction sheet with it where they had actually excluded cover if used on the nurburgring. They mentioned it specifically, so double check with them if your not sure......

I'm guessing you guys mean Pistenklause?

Great place - steak on a stone (raw steak, served on hot stone, cook it yourself!) is fantastic, and the Konig Ludwig weiss beer goes down very well...

Stay at the Burgstube - http://www.burgstube.com - Martin (the owner) rides a Gixxer, quicky! A lot of the european bike mags stay there when doing tests, a couple of the staff at the Burgstube tend to record faster lap times than the journos, and even the factory test riders - so their Bike 'Ring knowledge is impeccable. IIRC one of the lads who works there holds the production bike lap record - so you know they know their stuff.

If you tell him you were speak to Andy Betson he *might* even let you have a lil discount (maybe lol)