It can happen to us all!

Pete

Firstly does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of a red right hand side fairing panel for a carbed Honda Blackbird?!

Yep you guessed it, I chucked Daphne up the road this morning. Was the weirdest feeling, didn't hurt...I think my only words were "oh bollock". Here's the story (short, because not much happened, luckily)...

Travelling along a long clear single carriageway road, got to the point where I normally overtake when clear, did the usual checks and pulled out. Go past the car in front, thought "that solid white line will be here in a bit, I'll pull in here before it and behind this van". Just as I start to pull in the van starts to brake (don't know why. Maybe just one of those weird things that some people do when they see a bike approaching), so me not wanting to lock the front wheel kicks down through the gears, blipping the throttle as I normally do (still a fair way off from the van) and gently (I stress gently) apply the front brake. As I was going over the white line (dashed, not solid!) it just went from under me. That pesky white stuff, must have had frost or a patch of ice on it from last night. I went down, said "oh bollock" lay there for a few seconds, checked everything was still attached and went to flick the kill switch. The bike was lying nicely against the kerb, hadn't hit a thing thank god and I was alright.

A couple of blokes got out and one offered to give me a lift back in his van with the bike in the back...that was nice of him. They helped me get the bike up and luckily it still runs sweet as a sweet nutty thing so I was able to ride it back (gingerly!). The front brake lever had locked closed, but it was just wedged some how so even that's perfectly OK now I've popped it back out.

Just got back and am "working from home" today. Bit of a dull ache in my right elbow/forearm but apart from that I'm surprisingly peachy! So yes, please keep a look out for (and I can't believe that this is all that's broken!) a red front right side fairing for a Honda Blackbird (carbed). Actually the screen is cracked a bit, but apart from that we're all good. Amazing really!

Cheers buddy...to be fair that panel's in much better nick than mine is at the moment lol!! Think I'm gonna have to hang on for a bit until a decent one comes up on fleabay, nothing doing at the moment.

Couple of hours on from the incident and my arm aches so can't really rest it on everything and my hip's a bit bruised! Still feel lucky though.....

...and it's my mum's birthday today!

Pete, Mate, I feel for you. glad you're okay, and its nothing more than a grazed panel..

but seriously... Daphne......????? Being a redhead i'd have thought it more Wilma...... :up:

:laugh: (not cobbz, wf)

Glad your ok though, this your first off? Its not nice is it!

I've noticed frost virtually every morning, so i try and keep the pace down until afternoon where the sun has had a chance to work its magic!

Hahaha, I thought that'd raise a few eyebrows. I don't really name it, it's normally just "bike". I call things (including the PC and flaptop!) Daphne, or Mildred, or The Wicked Uncle (or Wilma from now on!) whatever springs to mind on occasion.

On further closer inspection my front brake lever is bent! No drama, a new one is only a tenner. Considering using this as a chance to upgrade a few things - gonna get a new double bubble screen as the other one is now cracked, and maybe get some decent brake and clutch levers. I can't wait to get back on it though, it's a bit of a challenge!

Thanks for all the kind words folks.

EDIT: Yes it was my first off! It wasn't great, but luckily it wasn't a bad one. Might as well have been on a track because the bike went one way and I just slid to a stop...ended up like a face down star fish. Must have looked funny to people in the cars when I got up, brushed myself off, checked that "everything" was still there and shrugged like an Italian because I didn't have a clue what'd happened! Ha!

Was the weirdest feeling, didn't hurt...I think my only words were "oh bollock".

Just the one :shock:

Yeah I think I dropped one!

Here're some pics:

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/peteblakemore/DSC_0058-1.jpg?t=1267800091

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/peteblakemore/DSC_0059-1.jpg?t=1267800600

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/peteblakemore/DSC_0060-1.jpg?t=1267800089

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/peteblakemore/DSC_0062-1.jpg?t=1267800088

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/peteblakemore/DSC_0061-1.jpg?t=1267800089

Pete, maybe you should think about changing your name to Niles, then you'd be getting the ride you've always wanted :)

http://davedubrow.com/.a/6a00e5502775dc883401127946fd3328a4-800wi

Hohoho!

Mate I cant believe it, im totally gutted for you and its really messed my day up. Daphne?...WTF? Its too late to deny it. And you smack her about! the pics prove it! I didnt have you down as that sort of bloke.

:cheers: Glad your ok dude!

Mate I cant believe it, im totally gutted for you and its really messed my day up. Daphne?...WTF? Its too late to deny it. And you smack her about! the pics prove it! I didnt have you down as that sort of bloke.

:cheers: Glad your ok dude!

Nah I just decided to get off a bit too early for work (about 30 mins too early in fact!).

Thanks again for the comments everyone. I'm seizing up a bit now lol! I've ordered some levers, bar ends (didn't really need them, but the old ones are tattered anyway...new ones are shiny!) and a new screen. Just got the side fairing and nose cone to sort (nose cone isn't THAT bad actually, but I'll want it sorting soon).

Cheers all :)