Which pillion seat bag?

I have an SV650 K7 (naked). It has not luggage rail or grab rail and so when I want to carry things I need either to wear a backpack or do a heath-robinson job using bungees over the pillion seat and under the tail of the bike. See pic:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2598/378 ... 1a9c_b.jpg

I am a bit of a noob when it comes to tailpacks; do I need a luggage rail/grab rail to attach the tailpack to? Are they generic or specific to each bike? Seeing as I have no luggage or grab rail, will I be able to fit the straps under the pillion seat "cover" thing (whatever it's called!) that you see where the pillion seat should go on my bike?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, but I've never bought bike luggage before!

Just firstly to say, that is the sexiest SV i've ever seen. (I hate SV650s, they're ugly, but this is gorgeous...)

That "pillion cover" is called a seat cowl :) I wouldn't think you'd need a grab rail, the straps can do under that cowl, and as long as they're tight, it won't fall off :)

tail packs tend to have two bungies that are attached and they go under the tail, they also have a strap that velco together under your seat, alot of the time you cant have them with the cowl on :( well i couldnt anyway you have to try though.

main thing is that you get yourself some protective material to go over all painted areas

I have just pruchased some Oxford OL500 soft panniers for my gixer

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en& ... CBwQrQQwAw

The OL500's expand outwards while the OL700's expand downwards. Just be careful about how high your exhaust pipe is. probably best tp go to a shop and take a look.

They have fitting instructions which tells you which straps go where. The large central on on mine goes under the seat cowl, this is the thing that you have in place of the pillion seat :thumb: then the other two straps go over the top. They also have straps that fit to the pillion pegs. They also come with rain covers.

You dont need a rack or anything with them but I would recommend that non slip bike protector with them which you cut to shape and you will need to cut some slits in it to allow the central strap to pass through it to go under the seat cowl.

Roy (yorbandit) reckons to load them up with your gear, then un pack them, fit them to the bike then reload them.

I fitted mine to my bike to get them home from the shop as i didnt buy online and found they were a bit awkward to fit.

But this could have been be because I aint used to fitting them

A disadvantage to buying online is that you run the risk that they may be too close to your exhaust pipe :cheers:

I have a kriega one and so far it has worked nicely on a hornet, cbr600fs, cbr1000rr and an r6.

Basically the bag has a rubbery bottom that grips to the seat and then straps that go under the actual seat.

It works better when its full to bursting though!

if your fitting luggage take the seat cowl off as it ma get scratched, then fit the luggage to the seat, (strap underneath, and refit to bike..)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/wattie83/zx10r010.jpg

I hate SV650s, they're ugly,

That hurt! :crybaby:

;)

I have a SV650 K6 naked.

I have to take the seat cowl off and attach the tail pack to the pillion seat, exactly the way Bex said!

Luggage racks are an option and I think I seen one a while back that fits into the grab rail fittings, or if you have the seat cowl on the place where the spacers go. Think it was about £80 though, depends on how often you ride with luggage.

Excellent. 'tis easy when you know how.

I may pop into Hein Gericke next time I'm in Porstmouth!

I found the sales guy very helpful in there

Even assisted in fitting

Heine Gerrick have their own make but the quality is just not the same as the oxford ones

Yeah, I was thinking of going for Oxford, their stuff is pretty good - functional, robust, doesn't cost the Earth and you can have any colour you like so long as it's black. :D

They also do Red or Blue :wink:

my mate has an sv 650 and like you he has a seat cowl...right,well his seat cowl is actually designed with a topbox on it :D its a great bit of kit so he says and is easily taken on and off,best bit is you dont need the givi arms and stuff,and theres nothing left on it when he takes the top box off..pretty good me thinks,i could get some info for you if you like :wink: