Single Tent/Sleeping Bag Etc............

I need to buy a single tent, sleeping bag and matt for a trip to France coming up.

Can anyone advise what to buy, does anyone have one they can recommend?

Obviously it all needs to be rolled up small to go on the back of my bike which has no pillion seat.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/pprune/Car.jpg

I use a Snugpak sleeping bag, and a Highlander Thermalite Compact Self Inflating Sleep Mat, both of these pack quite small and are quality kit, as for the tent I have not got a clue as I always use a three man tent for rallies and camping weekends.

depends on your budget paul.... decent tents can run into several hundred pounds. My two man packs to about 2 hand widths and fist in thickness, was nearly hundred quid though. If you have a good gender on tinterweb , you should be able to find some sites that can filter the tent by pack size. Its was how I found mine..

Same goes for sleeping bag and bedroll ...

On that note, it is worth checking out your local camping shop though, 1 to see what they have on offer and 2 to see if they got any deals on. My local millets currently knocking out self inflating bedroll at half price

if your sleeping bag is just for summer, then get a summer one (two seasons, i think...) no point having an arctic one that will be thicker and not as compact... (when stored)

B&Q are now doing camping stuff, as well as Millets, Argos, etc

I get cold easily and struggle staying warm, so I was looking at a 3 season sleeping bag, but I notice you can also get fleece liners for bags so I might get one of those too. Will keep an eye on this thread as I'm lookng at getting a new bag...been looking at snugpak since marsey mentioned them.

Snugpak is generally what the forces guys/girls upgrade to if they buy there own kit, so its good stuff, had a snugpak jacket myself, was toastie...

Alpkit.com do the best value for money sleeping bags, not the cheapest but worth every penny. They're an internet only company and are a hidden gem, long distance backpackers/cyclists swear by the stuff.

Snugpak code green stuff is really durable, I've got loads of the stuff at home, I wouldn't part with any of it though. It's not the lightest or most compact however.

Can't really help with tents, I don't tend to use them!!

Jack wolfskin Gossamer one man tent, Tiny pack size and bomb proof! had it out in mega bad weather and didnt leak! Would recommend you re-seal the seams (on any tent for that matter) with the provided sealer tho...oh and its only 80 or 90 quid from cotswolds outdoor! Awesome tent man, packs sooo small! sleeping bags, depends on if you want down or synthetic, but Alpkit do awesome products for good prices, snug pack are good, then you have the main players, rab, mountain equipment and the like! I do a fair wee bit of hiking and camping and the like and would be more than welcome to answer any other questions!

Problem with the main players is the prices they charge!! That's why people rate Alpkit so highly, my Alpkit Down jacket is far superior to the ME one it replaced and it was half the price. I'm after one of their down sleeping bags if they ever get it back in stock!

As a rule I've always said that if your the clumsy type (i.e you'll get it wet/ treat it rough) then synthetic is for you, down bags just wont last getting wet/ rough treatment.

A half decent bivi bag will add a season to a sleeping bag without much extra bulk, coupled with a silk/ fleece liner and you're laughing.

I have posted some pics to give you an idea of the size of the kit, the loaf of bread is for comparison purposes, and might come in handy if you get the wine munchies in France :lol:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1908/s5000004.jpg

this is the Snugpak Softie 6 Kestrel. very warm.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1577/s5000002e.jpg

Vango Voyager 100 this packs slightly smaller than the Snugpack, but is not as warm but warm enough for 3 season use and is a lot cheaper, and a silk liner would increase the temperature rating.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/2715/s5000003.jpg

Highlander Thermalite Compact self inflating mat , a lot more comfortable than than an ordinary foam camping mat, i used one of these for a week when i went to the Faro Rally, bliss

I also use a Tracpac waterproof canoe bag to pack it all into, these come in different sizes, i bought the largest in case i end up bringing back more kit than i took with me, they roll up quite small as the pics below show.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/562/s5000006.jpg

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8295/s5000005.jpg

There is probably better kit out there , but you can pick up the Vango, mat, and bag for less than £100 if you shop around.

One thing about the Highlander inflatable matts, i had two and they both burst, my fault for leaving them with the air in in a tent in Switzerland! but i replaced them with vango ones, which pack smaller, and i find are more comfortable! they were the same price two, about 20 quid

Fantastic stuff guys many thanks for all the replies and for posting the pics, much appreciated indeed, thank you.

I should have made it a bit more clearer in my first post that I have looked at hundreds of them and was after advice from people who owned the kit.

The trip will be for a few days in August so it will be very hot! Will not be using it too much in colder climes to be honest and money no object when it comes to buying it. You pay for what you get for as they say!

Thanks again guys, much chin-rubbing here going on now!! :D

The trip will be for a few days in August so it will be very hot! Will not be using it too much in colder climes to be honest and money no object when it comes to buying it. You pay for what you get for as they say!

:D

You would be surprised how cold it gets abroad at night, on the last night at the Faro Rally in Portugal in mid July, i had to climb inside my doss bag, cos it got quite cold, I'd been sleeping on top of it for all of the previous week.

One thing about the Highlander inflatable matts, i had two and they both burst, my fault for leaving them with the air in in a tent in Switzerland! but i replaced them with vango ones, which pack smaller, and i find are more comfortable! they were the same price two, about 20 quid

I'll keep that in mind myself when i come to replace my Highlanders.

Just had a Google for Vango self inflating mats, there are quite a few different models, which one do you use Starkey ?

Hey man, says on the top of the mat "vango trek mat" and the standard dimensions, 183x51x3. Its in red, but i think they are all in red? dunno! for more than half the price of the therm-a-rest ones it does an awesome job! that said ive never used a therm-a-rest one in anger

Hope that Helps man

Therm-a-rest are nowt special. I've got a prolite plus 3/4 (£70) and my girlfriend has an almost identical Alpkit one (£20).

The Alpkit one is every bit as good as the Therm-a-rest.