Err, unexpect Mod 1 booking - Practise advise?

Hey guys,

Having passed my theory this Saturday I was fairly eager to get my Mod 1 booked so I'd have something to aim for. I've been riding for about a month now, clocking up around 500km (my bike is Canadian:P) and prior to driving (5 years OTR) I'd been riding a CG125 for two years.

Anyway, I called up earlier today (Wednesday) to try and get a booking. All the local test centres were full right up till the end of September. That really sucked as I want to keep up momentum. The call operator rather unexpectedly said, "Err, we have something this Sunday". I decided to say bugger it and try my luck.

I'm happy with my slow riding and my slalom is okay the majority of the time (My wrist hurts from throttling :P) but could stand to be much better. I have no real perspective on the hazard avoidance but I've been using counter-steering more and more (will I actually need it for this?).

So my question is, with 4 days (and a job) what can I do to practise? My biggest concern is the U turn which seems to be very very tight.

Hi i too am needing practise for mod 1 i have been out with my mates (Danny-b- and Iank also on the forum) we went to an old carpark with my bike and set out slalom with gloves and some old bottles which helped practise that and figure of 8.

Also practised between two white lines in the carpark for u-turn which i struggled with!! just remember dont look at the lines as you will end up over them try look to where you want to go (easier said than done i think lol).

I dont know much about counter stearing but i have practised mod 1 at an actual test centre as well and going 31 mph towards cones trust me you will dodge them!!! its natural to miss an object at that speed i found (ill say that then fail my test hitting it lol)

Let us know how you get on mate im sure youll be fine Good luck :D

I would say on mod 1 the U turn was one of the easiest things ....it was pretty wide in fact and no kerb so the main failure on this manouver would be failing to lifesaver before the turn .

The Hazard avoidance certainly needs countersteer and aiming at the Box you have to end up in makes the hazard more natural to avoid.

As everyone says the main fail for hazard is A)hitting blue cone (going to fast possibly) or B not achieving the speed required (Dont throttle off until you leave the speed trap )

Once you have DOne it its easy ...its the thought of doing it that is hard :)

Ah cheers mate, good to hear you've passed it. Sounds like you've set yourself the same time period to nail yours!

Is it really two spaces wide!!? That's no space at all. I dont think I can manage that. I can do it in about a car length and a bit. If I full lock my CBR it feels like it'll drop (and nearly did once or twice)

The u-turn is pretty easy as theres pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of room

I hear it's 7.5 meters. I can do a U turn in 3 car parking bays but any less than that it gets a little edgy.

Basically can't get full lock on my bike without falling.

Side note: Do you actually have to do it in one?

Hmm, i'm not sure why your finding that very difficult, might be riding style or something else entirely (different bikes maybe) but i've never had trouble with turning on 'full lock'. jsut make sure you keep your head up, and at a steady speed.

However I think if your bike is physically unable to turn inthat space then they enlarge it a bit, seem to recall one of my instructors talking about how some bike he'd seen try it didnt have a tight enough turning circle to be able to ever do that turn so they ahd to enlarge it as the rider was good, the bike wanst.

It could be a simple case of my bike is too small for me. i'm 6'2 on one of the smallest 125s around - CBR.

Full lock means I need far more control than normal (ie: outside my ability) and as a result I'm shifting my centre of gravity off.

The lock on sports bikes is shite compared to normal bikes, so doing the mod1 on your CBR125 might not be the best idea ...

I'd say youd be better to loan a bike from a school rather than use your CBR, that of course means that youd need to do get a practice ru n on the bike first too.

hmm, in that case i'd go with finding a quite empty parking lot and practicing that, dont worry at first about where your going, just try to get used to controling the bike on full lock. then after you feel more confident actually start going between 2 car spaces (approx the right width i believe).

a smaller bike might help you if you picked up the speed a bit, since you can use your size to throw teh bike around more. (might be incorect here, since i've only had to wheel cbr's around before to move them).

other than that, all I can really say is good luck, since i'm not that qualified to give much more advice :cheers:

Keep your revs up and ride the clutch whilst controlling your speed with the rear brake. The centrifugal force generated inside a faster moving engine will help with your balance, and as has already been said, try to look where you want to go rather than at the white line.

I decided to buy a tape measure today. Turns out 7.5 is HUUGE. You could turn a tank in less space. I was trying to turn in 4~ meters! No wonder I was struggling!

I'm going to keep practising, try and avoid some pot holes on the way.

Side note: Decided to go out with my mate this afternoon after work. He just bought a new YBR125 and fancied giving it a quick run to the Ace Cafe. Unfortunately he ***** came off!!!! Some how he still managed to cut up his arm and scratch up his new bike.

Dam shame :(

Sit upright and use plenty of clutch.

The more upright you sit, the easier it will be to balance.

The more clutch you use, the less jerky the acceleration will be.

And it sounds silly, cos you will be stressed, but try to loosen your arms and hands - the more relaxed they are the more natural and fluid your turning will be.

Good luck!

Gaz