Bike wouldnt start this AM

Danny-B-

Went to start the bike this mornin and it was just a bit sluggish ... tried to start it for 10 mins with it hardly ticking over ... battery dead as a dodo :(

Its been sat for 4 days just. I'll get the battery out today after work and get it on charge ... but surely the battery should hold a charge for more than 4 days ehh ? :crybaby:

Mine started to do this, it would work just fine if you used it every day or every couple of days. But 4 or 5 days down the line it wouldn't start.

If you replace it, get the best one possible as the results are fantastic. It will have been running sluggish for a while now without you noticing I reckon. It had been with me. :wink:

A good one should.

Questions, How old is it ? does the bike have an alarm ? and daft as it seems did you leave parking lights on ?

I have no idea how old the battery is tbh, ive owned the bike for 2 months ish ... ? but it could be an old battery

Doesnt have an allarm but i do have a 12v socket wired up ... but its through a relay (as per Dans guide) connected to the light circuit, so this shouldnt drain the battery

I dont seem to have that parking light switch on the ignition .. i'll double check though cos it wouldnt suprise me lol

Mine started to do this, it would work just fine if you used it every day or every couple of days. But 4 or 5 days down the line it wouldn't start.

If you replace it, get the best one possible as the results are fantastic. It will have been running sluggish for a while now without you noticing I reckon. It had been with me.

I hope its not stuffed, how much are new batteries (decent ones) ?

Battery was flat again this mornin!! Took it off and stuck it back on charge (optimate), the charger is saying that the battery is fine now all charged and no need to replace.

I'm begining to think that the 12v wiring is to blame, I've disconnected it for now.

Had a look at the inline fuse and it was rusting so water is deffo getting into the 12v wires, that's possibly shorting it ... Will see how it runs with it disconnected.

Could just be a bad battery

Mine looked fine and charged fine but because it had been jumped so many times it was ruined and not holding the charge.

Things like fitted alarms drain the battery alot. Get a new battery and if it still doing it then you do have a problem and it could be worth getting your multi meter out and checking the charge rates to see if its getting charged.

Well ....

I charged the battery up last night and put it on the bike this morning, tried to start it up and it gave up after two ticks .. battry flat as a pancake, so pretty convinced the battery was a duffer ... :)

I bought a new battery today, cost £33 squid though, but its been filled and charged and is now on the bike, and to be honnest it burst into life alot quicker than it has done in the past, so fingers crossed that there isnt gonna be any more gremlins !!!

I will be testing the electrics with a multimeter tomorow at werk

Missed this after i saw the first post or two

yep happened with my bat, would read as full etc and wouldnt even crank the engine over. all sorts of weird problems :lol:

new batter fixed this!

Just a quick update ...

New battery in and all is well, no problems at all since then and its been left over the weekend etc.

Tested the voltages at work on friday and it was just under 13v under no load, charged at about 13.5v with lights on etc, so thank gawd for that !

Cheers for all the comments etc