ZZR1100 Kicking Shims

Echoeone

Hi - my ZZR1100C has kicked two of its shims. On imspection, the sides that hold them in have become worn and so a sim of the correct size comes out even when the follower has been slide back across. They sit on top of the value spring. How do I take the sim holders off so i can replace them. Incidently is it poss to bend the retaining sides of the sim holder to make them grip again whilst still on the bike - or is that a no no. Thx & any help appreciated.

http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1998-d6-zx1100_model12769/partslist/E1210.html

you may be able to depress the springs and slide new shims in with needle nose pliers..

92025 on pic

Yeah that would work Simon,

but something sounds wrong.

The cam lobe usually pushes the shim home into the bucket, when you turn the engine over by hand before replacing cam cover, what are the clearances like.

The shim clearances are correct as I checked them all. It is the shim holder that is worn and wont keep the shim in place. The ones that aren't worn are fine and the shim clicks in and is firmly held. The problem shim holders though are slack in their grasp of the shim and so the shim comes out. I dont have any pics as still have the head on, but looks like it will be coming off again. Guess the question is how to I remove the Shim holders?

I would advise using a workshop manual for this job,as you might have to reset the cam timing, and also the torque settings for the cam caps bolts are critical.

i have the cams off and the shim holder wont come out. Do i need a special tool to remove it? It seems pinned in some way. Attached is a pic that shows inside the head [ cams still on when i took it ] but u can see the follower ontop on the shim and its holder.

thx

P1010003a.thumb.jpg.ca2b3300c854fe530653ee783025beeb.jpg

From the link it looks like the shim buckets are part of the valve spring retainer

So you would have to replace those - item 12009 in the diagram

looks like a head off job

Use a valve spring compressor to release the collets then remove the spring retainer

then do the reverse to put it back together with a new retainer

This video shows how to do it on a car engine

">

with new retainers the shims will probably need changed