Fix a Hugger?

BoB3rt

ello,

noticed a crack on my rear hugger getting increasingly larger over the past month...

today i think i found that the problem is the lock i secure the bike with when at my girlfriends, i think it has been catching on the long thinner part that covers the chain and been bending it :(

well now this crack is rather large and i suppose if i dnt try to amend it soon its going to snap altogether!!

is there a way to patch up these flimsy plastics or will i have to buy a new one and spray it :(

thanks!

You could try some fibre glass strips with the hardening resin as a cheaper alternative. Maybe fix it on the underside to limit the disfigurement?

I think they still sell the kits at Halfords etc.

edit: I type slowly!!

BB

you need to plastic weld it from the underside, any surplus panel or a plastic coat hanger will suffice, and a soldering iron, its not pretty hence doing it from the underside.

also to stop the crack chasing... drill a hole at the end of the crack..

you tube has some funny and some helpful vids on plastic welding, also you can get a 2 pack epoxy, for plastics if thats easier..

you need to plastic weld it from the underside, any surplus panel or a plastic coat hanger will suffice, and a soldering iron, its not pretty hence doing it from the underside.

you tube has some funny and some helpful vids on plastic welding, also you can get a 2 pack epoxy, for plastics if thats easier..

Drill a hole? so just have a random hole in the hugger :P ?

I will take a picture tomorrow of the problem and post it up... infact give me 5 minutes and i will steal the Mrs. camera.

i think i have heared of using fibre glass... does that fill in the crack?

cheers

cheers

Its like using cello-tape, it will stop the crack spreading and form a solid bond on the underside. If its a crack it should seal it and if its cleaned up sufficiently hide the crack (maybe)...

BB

Drill a hole? so just have a random hole in the hugger :P ?

I will take a picture tomorrow of the problem and post it up... infact give me 5 minutes and i will steal the Mrs. camera.

cheers

no, you fill the hole in afterwards, but a crack will stop at a hole, whereas it will continue to split if left unchallenged..

fibreglass will give a bonded weave on the underside, but you may need filler and paint.

The Damage :(

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e293/BoB3rt/DSCF4398.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e293/BoB3rt/DSCF4395.jpg

ok i will pop to halfords tomorrow to see about the strips, but i may do some plastic welding later in the winter as i am thinking of respraying.

bit gutted, but it also looks like it has cracked in a tension spot... ovbiously that would be the most likely place to split but seems to been force fitted!

thanks for the help here!

So i took the hugger off today.

Turns out it had already been patched in this area... with what i cant make out, seems to be a botch job.

So am thinking of sticking it securly from behind then do some plastic welding to make sure its going nowere hen fill up the front.

Hope it works - not done this before :( will do some pictures.