Frayed strap

Hi,

I only just bought this Arai helmet a few weeks ago, and the chin strap has frayed already (only near the end though, not near the D rings when done up).

Is this normal? or should i be concerned about it?

As i said, i've only had it a few weeks, and only used the helmet for a few days.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4815546775_817a904d4d_b.jpg

cheers

:shock:

That's been rubbing against something quite rough, either the top of a jacket with a velcro fastener or rested down on a rough surface and dragged across it - there's no way you can damage the strap that badly from normal use. My Arai's still like new after 5 months, I doubt there's more than a couple of fibres out of place on it. I doubt your's will see out the year at that rate.

Take it back but also try to find out what's caused it as it'll most likely happen again unless you solve the rubbing issue.

think i'll take it back to the shop.

i've only used it for about a week, as i used it for my cbt and das course.

only thing i can think of was using the waterproofs provided by the training school when it was really wet one day, i think the velcro at the top of jacket (near the neck) wasn't done up properly. But surely this shouldn't happen after using a helmet for just one week?

i only ever put the helmet down on a chair, or rested it on top of my jacket (no velcro).

bit worried about taking it back to the shop now, what if the guy doesn't help me out? i would have thought the straps on a helmet would be able to withstand a lot of abuse???

cheers for the replies!

edit: the end of the strap tucks away into the helmet by the popper, so it's not hanging loose or anything like that.

bit worried about taking it back to the shop now, what if the guy doesn't help me out? i would have thought the straps on a helmet would be able to withstand a lot of abuse???

cheers for the replies!

edit: the end of the strap tucks away into the helmet by the popper, so it's not hanging loose or anything like that.

Worst case is you lose some time, he says he wont replace, it though I doubt he would, so what do you have to loose when the best case is a new helmet?

New helmet!Do you know how much an Arai costs?

It has been caused by velcro rubbing,collar not closed properly.Every time you put it on or turn your head youll be catching it.It will be strong enough but id still take it back even if it costs you to get another strap fitted.

I'm always aware when wearing my textiles so normaly wear a neck tube to keep them apart.Leathers arent a problem cause of the low cut neck.

If you keep putting gloves in your lid youll end up snagging the cheek pads in the same way.

haven't taken it back yet as haven't had the time, but will try to do so this weekend.

I did email the company i bought it from and they said to bring it in so they can take a look.

i think they will offer to send it back to Arai to get a new strap fitted, so not as worried about it now.

I bought my GF a Box helmet a few weeks ago, only cost about £60 and the popper on the strap came off. I took it back to the HG store I bought it from and they sent it back to Box (oxford) to be repaired. A week later they called me and said they had got it back only it was a brand new lid as it was cheaper for them to write it off and give me anew one than it was to replace the chin strap. Give it a go, I think most motorbike clothes shops will bend over backwards for you as this is quite an expensive hobby and over the years you will probably spend thousands in em!!