stupid question about rear wheel....

dixie

Had started the bike yesterday as it's not been ridden for a while. Started first time, put it into 1st and noticed the rear wheel wasn't moving....when moved by hand it's as if it's catching on something. Doesn't look as if the wheel is buckled, but does move slightly from side to side when pushed.....Have maybe the bearings gone?

I noticed the last time i rode it that it was as if there is a flat spot on the rear tyre, would the bearings make it feel like this? :oops:

**Wish I knew more about bikes** Sigh

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dixie

Guest Hodgy

If the wheel moves from side to side then either the axle bolts are loose or the bearings have gone!

It could be just the brake calliper that's siezed causing the brakes to stick on, that would stop the wheel turning but this would not cause the play in the wheel.

You need to get it checked out properly before using it.

flat spot on the tyre... as in worn down, makews me think youve been over zealous with the rear brake and draggin the wheel..

or the rear brake is stuck on, how was it for power last time, sluggish, then look at the brake..

this could have caused an issue with the spindle and/or bearings..

best to get it looked over...

Also check the drive sprokets and chain for wear - can cause 'stiff points'.

Check bearings are correctly installed (correct torque) - A couple of years ago my Yamaha 750 triple failed MOT "excessive play in back wheel". I sourced and bought new bearings and when I went to fit them, found the originals were only in hand-tight. Tighned to correct torque and problem solved!

PS. Anyone want to buy the bearings I bought - unused and in mint condition!!!

:cheers:

I don't understand how the brake caliper was stuck on SO BADLY that the bike couldn't even turn the wheel in first! Crazy...

Glad u sorted it though dixie.

Did you wash the bike after you last used it? Or is it kept outdoors where it can get wet?

I sometimes find the brakes on my car stick if I wash it, put it in the garage and then don't drive for a week. Get water in between the disc and pad and you get a little light surface rust that sticks the two together - it just needs a good shove to separate them, and it cleans up with a few applications of the brake.