Mod 2 - 3rd attempt Failed - should I call it a day ?

Oh yea, I don't mean are you getting the restricted but whether you were going to get a 125 to practice on (so you can ride without supervision) but still do the test on a big'un. Clearly not though, as your answer made clear. :)

I take it you're going to keep up posted on how the test goes?

Oh I misunderstood- If I saw a 125cc going cheap that would get me a bit more practice time on the road I would be interested in it but yes, the final aim would be to take my test on the 500cc having come this far.

Of course I will keep you posted.... as and when I have any news

Oh yea, I don't mean are you getting the restricted but whether you were going to get a 125 to practice on (so you can ride without supervision) but still do the test on a big'un. Clearly not though, as your answer made clear. :)

I take it you're going to keep up posted on how the test goes?

yeah I would be tempted in this situation to ditch the car for a while and get about more on a 125 cos there is nothing that makes you more aware your on a bike than when your on a 125 :lol:

Yes, you make a good point and like I read on another post..... Its then "The best of both worlds"

As far as I can tell, learner legal 125s seem to hold their value quite well so you would probably be able to sell it for what you paid. The only costs then are fuel (and you will be getting better mpg than in the car so time on the bike = money saved) and insurance. All in all it shouldn't be that expensive to do.

All the best!

He said "What about when you was going down the dual carriageway behind some cars at about 55/60 and it was raining hard ........I timed you at 1 second behind the car in front" I said I was sort of equidistant as per the line of cars that were in front and behind .....yes he said but you are not in a car, they are and you need to give them more room (I wasnt tailgating by any means but I had slipped into car driver mode and just slotted myself into the flow of traffic as though I was in a car and without allowing for me being on a bike)

A lot of drivers do tend to follow way too close together on dual carriageways, especially if it's busy and they feel like they want to go faster themselves, or don't want to be perceived as holding up the traffic behind.

1 second's worth of following distance is much too close, even in the dry - and yes, I know that's what many drivers do. A good rule of thumb is the "two second rule" - and you need to be at least twice as far back as that when it's raining. Bear in mind also just what a tiny contact patch a bike has with the road, and the fact that you don't have a crumple zone to protect you.

Next time you're out in the car, try choosing a longer following distance. It might feel a bit odd at first, but you're still able to travel at exactly the same speed as if you were closer, and you can see further ahead and have much more time to react.

Oh yes, I was too close for sure but I'd just slipped into car driver mode and gone with the flow of traffic. Truth is a lot of cars and bikes appear to regularly drive in a way that wouldnt allow them to pass the 'test' and its the difference between the reality on the road and the test standards. It looks like I just have to concentrate more on riding for the test requirements.

It is a bit alien to me slowing down and holding up traffic behind (especially leaving a roundabout as on my first test fail) Traffic always bunches on the approach and leaving dual carriageway roundabouts. I know in reality it will just make drivers crowd behind me frustrated looking for the oportunity to overtake .. I naturally favour dropping back gradually to create space if I am not intending to overtake myself after the exit.If i do intend to overtake I maintain my position which invariably will be too close.

I understand the 2 sec rule which is straight forward on a straight long straight road but harder to maintain on approaching and leaving roundabouts. Pulling onto a roundabout behind the busy traffic and then leaving inthe flow invariably breaks this rule............or would appear to be hesitation.

But yes, I agree I wiil be trying out further following distances in my car as well........though I know it will only leave space for the boy racer to fill. ....I am now already one of the few car drivers that constantly shoulder checks! There is definetly a different rythmn to riding a bike than driving a car probably due to the different use of gears - have allready learnt its not a good idea to block change directly down from 4th to 2nd on a bike! The skipping back end told me that!

If I drove a car the same as if I was riding a bike it would appear to me to be the equivalent of thrashing it (the car) If I ride a bike as a do a car, it would appear I think hesitant, slow and very conservative. Obviously they are both very different machines which require individual different driving methods/styles on the same one piece of tarmac

Anyway Thanks for the input its all being digested.......and all part of the learning curve

As far as I can tell, learner legal 125s seem to hold their value quite well so you would probably be able to sell it for what you paid. The only costs then are fuel (and you will be getting better mpg than in the car so time on the bike = money saved) and insurance. All in all it shouldn't be that expensive to do.

All the best!

I am keeping my eye out for a cheap learner legal.......but as I would be taking it on the A1 most days to go to work I'm not too keen on the lack of power, slim back wheels, small frame size and low riding height that seems to be the norm in many of the bikes availbale. I am sure there must be some that are more than suitable than others but I don't really know which. I did go to look at a YAMAHA SR125 because in the picture it looked to have a wider back tyre........when I saw it it was a lovely little bike in proportion, but felt far too small and a very low riding position. Maybe this is the norm and something i just have to put up with...if i want the practice...I'm not sure?

Edited by caretaker

Oh yes, I was too close for sure but I'd just slipped into car driver mode and gone with the flow of traffic. Truth is a lot of cars and bikes appear to regularly drive in a way that wouldnt allow them to pass the 'test' and its the difference between the reality on the road and the test standards. It looks like I just have to concentrate more on riding for the test requirements.

It is a bit alien to me slowing down and holding up traffic behind (especially leaving a roundabout as on my first test fail) Traffic always bunches on the approach and leaving dual carriageway roundabouts. I know in reality it will just make drivers crowd behind me frustrated looking for the oportunity to overtake .. I naturally favour dropping back gradually to create space if I am not intending to overtake myself after the exit.If i do intend to overtake I maintain my position which invariably will be too close.

I understand the 2 sec rule which is straight forward on a straight long straight road but harder to maintain on approaching and leaving roundabouts. Pulling onto a roundabout behind the busy traffic and then leaving inthe flow invariably breaks this rule............or would appear to be hesitation.

But yes, I agree I wiil be trying out further following distances in my car as well........though I know it will only leave space for the boy racer to fill. ....I am now already one of the few car drivers that constantly shoulder checks! There is definetly a different rythmn to riding a bike than driving a car probably due to the different use of gears - have allready learnt its not a good idea to block change directly down from 4th to 2nd on a bike! The skipping back end told me that!

If I drove a car the same as if I was riding a bike it would appear to me to be the equivalent of thrashing it (the car) If I ride a bike as a do a car, it would appear I think hesitant, slow and very conservative. Obviously they are both very different machines which require individual different driving methods/styles on the same one piece of tarmac

Anyway Thanks for the input its all being digested.......and all part of the learning curve

Hi

I'm a Driving Instructor

It's good that you understand the 2 second rule, but that only applies at speeds over 40mph. So as you are approaching hazards such as roundabouts and the speed starts to decrease then your separation distance distance will decrease until you stop behind the vehicle in front. If/when you do need to stop behind a vehicle, then as long as you make sure you leave enough distance (just think that if the vehicle in front breaks down you have the room to go round) you'll be fine.

At speeds up to 30mph then keep your thinking distance. Which is 30 feet @30mph.

It's all about stopping distances really. The faster you are travelling the more room you need in order to stop and keep everyone, including yourself, safe.

As has been said then you need to double your distance in the wet as it takes longer to to stop.

Hope you nail the next one bud!

Hi Deso, its good to get your input..........and yes, the message is now loud and clear...........(I need to allow more distance the faster I am going.)

The point you made about leaving enough room to get around a vehicle in the event it broke down is also a usefull way to remember the distance behind to stop.... and now I will be allowing for the appropriate thinking distance relevant to the speed I'm doing too

Sometimes I think I have just been trying to hard

Well, I have decided I will be giving it another go soon.........and as you say hoping this time I finally nail it !