Mod 2 - 3rd attempt Failed - should I call it a day ?

Took my Mod 2 again today for the THIRD time....despite feeling good and prepared and that the ride went well I FAILED

Ist attempt - failed for being to close to a lorry as I came off a roundabout on a dual carriageway

2nd attempt-(Decided to keep well back from lorries and tankers)Failed for failing to overtake tractor - towing a tanker on narrow country road so was a bit hard to see with the trees and overhanging branches etc

3rd attempt-today- failed for apparently pulling back in too early

after overtaking a lorry on dual carrieageway

So any advice- having done 5 day das course and loads more days/ hours for the retakes, spent a fortune and used up all my annual holiday...... should I

a) save up and buy a 125 to practice on and go for restricted option

b)save up and try again (no gurantee)

c) give it up as a bad job and take up Knitting

I would say b). If you buy a 125 you will have to pass MOD1 again and then another try for MOD2 so it would cost you more. And even on 125 theres no guarantee you would pass. Give it another go, you can't be unlucky every time :wink:

I would say b). If you buy a 125 you will have to pass MOD1 again and then another try for MOD2 so it would cost you more. And even on 125 theres no guarantee you would pass. Give it another go, you can't be unlucky every time :wink:

Thank you for the optimism...I'm going to give it a few days and think it over

also not sure if i should take it in a different area or request a different examiner... this one is beginning to bug me now

Edited by caretaker

Take it again and watch your distances, as for being failed for not overtaking when you didn't feel it was safe, that's just down to that particular examiners opinion unfortunetly

Took my Mod 2 again today for the THIRD time....despite feeling good and prepared and that the ride went well I FAILED

Ist attempt - failed for being to close to a lorry as I came off a roundabout on a dual carriageway

2nd attempt-(Decided to keep well back from lorries and tankers)Failed for failing to overtake tractor - towing a tanker on narrow country road so was a bit hard to see with the trees and overhanging branches etc

3rd attempt-today- failed for apparently pulling back in too early

after overtaking a lorry on dual carrieageway

So any advice- having done 5 day das course and loads more days/ hours for the retakes, spent a fortune and used up all my annual holiday...... should I

a) save up and buy a 125 to practice on and go for restricted option

b)save up and try again (no gurantee)

c) give it up as a bad job and take up Knitting

you could easily Drop stitches Knitting or forget you put the needles down and sit on them causing severe injury,get arthritus ...Need I go on !

From what you say I would say go for option B as said you will have to start again with restricted and you are nearly there !! Mod 2 is a Lottery and some people have to buy quiet a few tickets to win and I think you have just been Unlucky So keep going at least until your theory Expires !

Start a thread here next time you have it booked For lots of support and we can all wish you the Luck you obviously could Do with :3some:

Keep going!!!

Like some people say, you can just be really unlucky, but keep trying as it will be worth it.

If you're not getting on with your current instructor, then maybe try someone new, the change might help give you a fresh approach to riding and your test.

Also, if / when you have another lesson with an instructor, ask them to practise the things you aren't very good at/don't feel confident with. If dual carriageways and overtaking is something your not sure about, then ask to do quite a bit of it (at the end of the day you're the one paying for the lesson).

If you think its a problem with the Examiner you could always consider Going elsewhere to Do your test ....this was what i was going to Do if i failed again ! but Never give up because it is better to spend a little more on your licence than you planned to than to have waisted all that money for nothing !!

where do you go for your tests? is it nottingham?

don't give up it'll all ber worth it when you have that licence and can have the freedom of two wheels :cheers:

No I have been taking the tests in Lincoln. but following on from 4 attempts to get the mod 1 - I am getting rather test and lesson weary now as i have been doing it since feb.

(strange thing is i have had a car licence 40 years of heavy mileage driving and not had an accident)

Keep going!!!

Like some people say, you can just be really unlucky, but keep trying as it will be worth it.

If you're not getting on with your current instructor, then maybe try someone new, the change might help give you a fresh approach to riding and your test.

Also, if / when you have another lesson with an instructor, ask them to practise the things you aren't very good at/don't feel confident with. If dual carriageways and overtaking is something your not sure about, then ask to do quite a bit of it (at the end of the day you're the one paying for the lesson).

Yes I understand that and as you say its important.... instructors dont seem to think I have a problem really and I have had 2 or if they did they arent saying ..and I am now reasonably confident and feel happy with my m/c driving so dont really Know what more to do............obviously not as good as someone with the freedom to practice at will over time but I think not awfull either ...but I am really bored of driving around and around Lincoln test routes with my head bobbing from side to side every two mins

Edited by caretaker

don't give up it'll all ber worth it when you have that licence and can have the freedom of two wheels :cheers:

No I have been taking the tests in Lincoln. but following on from 4 attempts to get the mod 1 - I am getting rather test and lesson weary now as i have been doing it since feb.

(strange thing is i have had a car licence 40 years of heavy mileage driving and not had an accident)

if you felt like changing instructor i would recommend bike skool http://www.bikeskool.co.uk/ if you don't mind coming out to sutton that is, i did all my training with them and they don't just teach you to pass a test, you never know someone elses input may be the thing you need.

To give up at this point so close to getting your licence would be more expensive than just giving it another go in my opinion. :wink:

if you felt like changing instructor i would recommend bike skool http://www.bikeskool.co.uk/ if you don't mind coming out to sutton that is, i did all my training with them and they don't just teach you to pass a test, you never know someone elses input may be the thing you need.

To give up at this point so close to getting your licence would be more expensive than just giving it another go in my opinion. :wink:

Thanks for that- I will have a look at their web site- Its always good to know another option thats been recomended. Maybe having an assessment with them would be a way forward.

I did contact a bike school at Mallory Park too that sounded okay but not sure if I want to change to taking a test in Leicester as its not my favourite place to drive. Mansfield is probably better for me

Sounds a bit harsh failing you on the 3 things in previous tests,2 don't sound serious faults.

Did you have any minors,or other probs?

I made a few bad call's, not making progress was 1, also when doing 40 on nsl road examiner told me to get up to speed,

passed with 3 minor's out of 10,you aint going to be perfect think most examiners are fair & do want you to pass

If you've gone so far you owe it to yourself to carry on,

the money must be a pain mind

I was failed twice in similar circumstances which Ill not go over again for fear of boiling my urine. However stick in WINNERS NEVER QUIT and QUITTERS NEVER WIN :)

In the long term its well worth the aggravation!

Doesn't the MOD 1 pass last for 2 years like the CBT? It really depends on how how deep your pockets are, I would always tell people to get a 125 and get some hours solo on the road to get your confidence/roadcraft upto speed. I know you have been driving a car for a while but as I am sure you know they are worlds apart.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do mate and don't give up!!

Doesn't the MOD 1 pass last for 2 years like the CBT? It really depends on how how deep your pockets are, I would always tell people to get a 125 and get some hours solo on the road to get your confidence/roadcraft upto speed. I know you have been driving a car for a while but as I am sure you know they are worlds apart.

:stupid:

That really sucks mate, honestly don't give up. It sounds like you've just had a bad run rather than a bad rider. If you were unsafe I'd say call it a day but it strikes me as luck has had a major part to play in this. I for example had a terrible test but still passed - maybe it was the instructors Friday feeling?

Get out a bit more, see if you can do a 1 day DAS or something (yeah I know, money money money). I'd also highly recommend BikeSafe which is a day with the police for £45 - absolute bargain.

Just keep it up mate, you're so close.

not sure but think they take you for test in nottingham at netherfield now but they are very good :cheers:

I've had a look at the web site and sent an email to John Wilson asking them if they are up to the challenge of taking on the 'pupil from hell' - anyway I will see what they say and recommend.

Did you do a DAS course with them and take your tests in Netherfield? ..if so did you pass them okay?

Sounds a bit harsh failing you on the 3 things in previous tests,2 don't sound serious faults.

Did you have any minors,or other probs?

I made a few bad call's, not making progress was 1, also when doing 40 on nsl road examiner told me to get up to speed,

the money must be a pain mind

Yes the money is a pain as its so open ended - £1500 so far and probably at least 12 days training

yes I have picked up a few minors as well on each test

missing a couple of observations and a couple of hesitations in fact as i do err on the cautious side in 50/50 situation but Im capable of making good progress etc so far the only thing I havent been picked up on yet is for speeding! That will be next time! no doubt! I do tend to think they have me down as a born again biker because of my age 57 in fact when I went for my first test the examiner asked why an earth do I want to go on a motorbike. Not sure if its Lincolnshires casualty rate that is playing a part and they are making an extreme safety effort or obviously it could be that I'm just a crap rider

Get out a bit more, see if you can do a 1 day DAS or something (yeah I know, money money money). I'd also highly recommend BikeSafe which is a day with the police for £45 - absolute bargain.

Just keep it up mate, you're so close.

Yes i could be a crap rider but i'm sure the instructors would give it me in the ear piece if i was- or at least thats what they should do

Done about 12 days DAS up to now so far and yes intend to do will do more if i continue..no choice I use their 500cc bike.

Obviously, I'm not allowed to go out on my cb500 which is waiting patiently in the yard......... so tempting to say f@*K it though and get free practice but i've magnificently resisted the temptation so far and kept legal...... but it hasnt brought rewards!

on the other hand I've not been nicked either.

Bikesafe idea sounds good I will look into it.............

The support on here is great and yes, its looking like I will have to give it another go...just got to decide the best way forward now

Edited by caretaker

Well I agree knowing what i know now i could have bought a nearly new ybr 125 and ran that for a year for the same money but thats the dilema do i change horses mid stream and sell my 500 bike, buy a 125 do the mod 1 again and then go for the mod 2.? and yes i could still fail them as tests are so subjective.

Pocket were deep but not so now and time off work is becoming an issue-Thing is now if i do nothing for a while I will just probably get rusty. Yes car driving is a lot different andfunnily enough i do think the bike lessons are making me a better car driver too

If you think its a problem with the Examiner you could always consider Going elsewhere to Do your test ....this was what i was going to Do if i failed again ! but Never give up because it is better to spend a little more on your licence than you planned to than to have waisted all that money for nothing !!

Thank you for your support, and I do agree but I am at the stage when I have allready spent the little more than I planned and heading towards the lot lot more....

I do beleive the cost will be easily forgotten if I can just get the test but its the openendedness of it all........... what will it finally cost? could it be thousands?