Suspension help

splinter

I have a 96 cbr 600f and i carry pillions mainly my wife and child, what o would like to know is how to adjust the suspension when carrying, im a total noob and asked pepole but all i get is yeah u need to turn it two clicks? what i need is some one to explain it to me or a video that shows it being done. thanks guys for taking to read this

moved into pitstop for ya Splinter :thumb:

If i get this right ....

In a nutshell, the shock has a spring which regulates the compression, under this spring is a castle nut which, when turned, increases or decreases the compression (the bit you wanna adjust) . When you look at it, you'll see the castle nut has different heights, these will be what do the adjusting of the spring, as the nut itself is captive.

Have a look, see if it makes any sense (you need to correct tool as well)

The nut on the bottom of the spring actually increases or decreases the preload on the spring.

Increasing makes the rear stiffer.

Turn the nut/adjuster on the bottom of the sping so it shortens the sping.

Do it in small amounts or one click at a time or you could end up with a dangerous mix front to rear.

A small increases in rebound too if you have that adjustment or you'll end up with a bouncy rear and not just the wifes.

moved into pitstop for ya Splinter :thumb:

If i get this right ....

In a nutshell, the shock has a spring which regulates the compression, under this spring is a castle nut which, when turned, increases or decreases the compression (the bit you wanna adjust) . When you look at it, you'll see the castle nut has different heights, these will be what do the adjusting of the spring, as the nut itself is captive.

Have a look, see if it makes any sense (you need to correct tool as well)

Sorry had to correct this one as messing with suspension can be dangerous

Its not compression as such its preload

Not all rear shocks have the single nut some have an adjustment nut and a locknut.

Try this link.

http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motor ... set-up.htm

This is how I learnt about suspension. It's not a lot :lol: but I learnt to set my bike up just how I want it.

You need to stiffen up pre load and compression when carrying a pillion or heavy luggage. Or both...