changing brake pads

Guest KER5H

nope as long as you dont undo any of the lines the fluid is contained and won't require bleeding or replacing..

however it you've had the bike more than 2 years and its not been changed you might want to consider it..

no you wont need to!

remove calipers remove pads while calipers are off give them a good clean up brake cleaner helps!

install new pads reverse of removal you will need to push the pistons back then fit calipers simple!

if you dont know how long the fluid has been in you could change it im sure there is a write up of how to do that on here :)

nope as long as you dont undo any of the lines the fluid is contained and won't require bleeding or replacing..

however it you've had the bike more than 2 years and its not been changed you might want to consider it..

Am curious with stuff like that, i mean I would be interested how many actually do this am assuming most of us will go through a set of pads a year.

Is this a manufacturers guide, If so that might explain it!

its the manufacturers of the brake fluid guide

brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water) so should be changed every two years because of this!

its the manufacturers of the brake fluid guide

brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water) so should be changed every two years because of this!

Ah how does water get into a closed system?....Anyway its just I've never noticed any fall off, but if thats what it says ok fair enough!

It comes in as condensation, dont ask me how, but the water boils when theres heat in the brakes and can cause brake fade, or push the pistons out as the fluid has expanded,

its often the easiest way to solve braking issues.. definately the first upgrade anyone should consider..

thanks for the tips and advice guys. Im gonna do them on saturday front and back. Im putting a new rear tyre on so thought i would do the pads as they are getting low. Im not sure how long the current fluid as been in and i ve had the about 18 months so i will change it as advised. Is it simple enough to bleed them? And thanks for the offer of help tc :cheers: i will call upon you if needed.

Get a brake bleeding kit...

You essentially bleed the fluid out through those little nipples (hehehehehe... nipples) On the calipers. And top it up as you go until all the old fluid is out and flushed through with new fluid.

I believe thats how its done... Or a variation of, my brakes always worked fine after I did this and the fluid was clear rather than orange.