where to start...?

illvibetip

I had a problem with the engine last week, I took the bike out and when I got back (and removed my headphones) realised there was a sound coming from the cylinders like a tin with screws in it being shaken. This worried me so I nursed it to the bike repair shop.

I asked him to change the battery and oil too while he was on (as it hasnt been starting/turning over too well recently). I also had the exhasut mounted properly (though I dont think that is really relevant).

He said the noise was something to do with the idle?? and went about replacing 'it' (this thing he replaced I dont know the name of. Its at the back, base of the rear cylinder, juts out, is about 3, by 2.5 by 2.5 cms and oval shaped - sorry i checked my specs/internet and cant find what it is).

I comes back today and he obviously been having sex with my bike cos its f...........

when i go into the shop he pouring air into the top of the engine/air filter area with the tank off cos that seems the only way to get it to run! :?

He said he cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, changed the battery - twice and the thing that was broke/rattling. Hes saying its going to cost me big bucks now to finish the job which will involve dismantling the engine completely.

I can just about turn it over - but only in neutral. I can almost get it ticking but i need to pull the throttle right back to maximum and hold it. But, it just splutters for about a minute and dies. If i put it in 1st, it dies straight away.

I have no reason to doubt this guy but id like to start checking my bike to see if there is anything I can do myself first. It could be any one of 100 things as far as I know, maybe he just put too much oil in ( I wish...).

where can I start?

thanks

ok, now we know the bike we can get on with diagnosis,

hyosung.jpg.e58477dfee71b3202fa690f7982c44c2.jpg

this it????

if so i was correct, cam chain tensioner, and it looks liek your not the only one, as there is a recall, (Manufacturer fixes bikes)

This thread is just to inform you that there's a recall here about a problem found in the camchain tensioners in the models: GT250, GT250R, GT125 and GT125R (also fuel injected models are affected) bought during 2007 and beyond.

The problem causes strange engine noises and the possibility of it to blow. The dealers by now are being informed and they're slowly replacing those defective camchain tensioners under warranty. They have made public a list of affected VIN numbers, but there's evidence that there are many others affected too.

http://korider.com/index.php?topic=12353.0

and your welcome.

yes its the cam chain tensioner (diagram).

At walney frankie - Thanks very much for the information that should be enough for me to take it from there.

at Ian :- I said thanks in the original post. As I have had an answer now, I will say thanks again. I live in a different time zone so I havent had a chance to check this thread/comment until now. Although it may look as though Im being ungrateful - I was asleep and got up in the middle of the night to check it last time. That being said however, if you can please refer me to the sticky on ' when exactly to say thanks etiquette' I'll do it right proper nice next time.

Thanks

I'm a bit concerned that he may have put the timing out!

If he's changed the cam chain adjuster, it may well

have slipped round a tooth or 2

which is why it'll be running like a bag of nails,

if at all.

If the cam timing is out it will damage your engine

big time if you run it!

i cant bloody believe this!!!!

in the past ive heard of people doing sloppy jobs (hence the fact that i thought id check myself before shelling out on an engine re-build) but i didnt think there was a buiscuit this big...

He covered the air filter in petrol! Ive changed the air filter and it works fine! But theres a lot of black smoke bellowing out so I think hes put too much in (again). I showed him the specs before he changed the oil but hes obviously not paid any attention to them.

thanks very much for your replies.

and walney, that link was spot on - lots of great stuff on there!

Im off to find an alternative use for my long screwdriver at the repair shop

bye

well you've got away lightly if it was only the air filter! :lol:

If there's too much oil in let some out!

too much is as bad/if not worse than not enough!

I think I'd be trying a different mechanic next time :lol:

how long to get for murder over there? :lol:

well you've got away lightly if it was only the air filter! :lol:

If there's too much oil in let some out!

too much is as bad/if not worse than not enough!

I think I'd be trying a different mechanic next time :lol:

how long to get for murder over there?

nothing if its a north korean :mrgreen: