Afghan Heros Mothers Day Ride

cruz

Oh ffs!!! I give in trying to attend this event.

Not only is it my sons birthday, its also the MCN bike event at butlins... im booked in already.. hmm kids wont be happy im away! :?

Im going.. it wont be on YBR it be on my big bike... It was amazing this year..... 22,000 bikes attended.. Its the last ride so we hoping for as many aspossible... any one with trikes Julia hoping to get the service men on the trikes to pay respct to the fallen friends and Heroes....

Im heading head down on the Friday something big happening but Its not be said.. I dont know what it is .all I know is its going be massive watch this space....

Ride Safe, Ride Free

BC x

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't comment on Akey's reasons. Although I have a fair idea on a few.

The ride is now £20 per person (so £40 with pillion) which strikes me as a little steep. I believe AH are still due to post accounts to show the split between admin costs and money used for charity.

AH have set up their own bike club, £35 a year membership. Lot of money for membership of such a targeted charity - Royal British Legion Riders will cost you less to join, let you do more and they help a whole lot more people.

NB - I'm not trying to stop anyone from donating to charity. I do feel that if you give to charity you should think carefully about which one, why and what they'll do with the money.

Dex,

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head, more and more charities are using professional fund raisers and consultants, paying more and more for advertising etc so from a personal perspective I have looked around and chosen my charities I will support, giving both time and money to them in various amounts.

I would never say to anyone do not give to this charity or that one, but I would say look into each charity before deciding which one to support, try to identify who actually gets the support the charity offers and what support they do give is it financial or do they also provide homes, welfare and more.

If you were to spend money on a bit of bike kit, I would suggest you would do some research first, so I apply the same thing to my charity money and time.

It really pi55es me off when charities take advantage of situations. I won't be going on this for not the same reasons but more of too many charities for the same end results, if they cut half of these charities the money saved on admin would go along way for other charities.

Help For Heroes & RTTW - that's me.

PS It's heroes not Heros :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I saw the price has just dropped to £10 after the previous announcement of £20.

Mind you - it still costs £35 to join their riders group thing.

(Seriously, "Jax Teller"? :lol: )

Dex, check out RBL Riders on Facebook, or http://www.RBLR.co.uk

it's the Royal British Legion Riders branch, supporting the poppy appeal, costs less than Afgan Heroes and all monies raised goes to the poppy appeal which helps HM forces past, present and future.

plus they have been going for 4 years so have a better events calendar than Afgan Heroes (FWIH)

I saw the price has just dropped to £10 after the previous announcement of £20.

Mind you - it still costs £35 to join their riders group thing.

(Seriously, "Jax Teller"? :lol: )

Dex, check out RBL Riders on Facebook, or http://www.RBLR.co.uk

it's the Royal British Legion Riders branch, supporting the poppy appeal, costs less than Afgan Heroes and all monies raised goes to the poppy appeal which helps HM forces past, present and future.

plus they have been going for 4 years so have a better events calendar than Afgan Heroes (FWIH)

Helen- thanks for the link, but I'm already signed up :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...