Quick question about removing downpipes?

MacLean

My downpipes need replaced due to them rusting up and eventually getting holes, and now failed the MOT....

I've started spraying penetrating oil on the downpipe nuts as I know they are going to be a bastrd to get off. I was wondering - after a few days of spraying the oil at the nuts, do you think it will make undoing the nuts any easier if I fire the bike up for 20mins to heat the pipes/nuts up before giving it a shot?

Or do you think it wont make a bit of difference?

Also when doing it, is it better to give the ratchet a short sharp jab, or is it better to try and smoothly apply more pressure until the nuts give way?

Thanks guys.

Good points Mac.

Personally, I'd try cold first, with a short sharp motion. Ensure your tools are a good fit. Then I'd try hot if that didn't work.

And of course pray to the God of Bolts and Exhaust Studs that they don't snap.

Oh btw, my MOT had an advisory that my brake pads are glazed...

Which is apparantly the pads becoming too smooth and results in bad brake performance.... Im just wondering, how have i managed to glaze the pads in the first place? Anything I can do about it?

Yes I have removed downpipes with no problem. Used to work on the spanners so have done loads of them.

Sounds like you are preparing correctly, which is as much as you can do. If they snap, they snap. Hopefully they won't of course :thumb:

Change the pads.. replace with decent ones. Not entirely sure what causes it. Am sure when somebody points it out, I'll go 'ah yes thats it !!' :lol:

i did mine on my GT550 and luckily they had recently been off so they came off no problem.. with regards to glazed pads i think its caused by braking too hard regularly as ot overheats the pads and the net result is the glazed surface.. it used to happen to me in my car alot when up on the twisties in northumberland.. i used to take them out and sand the glazed surface off the pads and re-use them.. they glaze even worse if the pads are new and you are excessive on the brakes...

i've been undoing the allen bolts on my bike as they are notorious for seizing, have removed 5 of eight (cooler is in the way)

what i did

long 100mm allen tool (socket)

wheel brace bar, (the extending type from Halfords).

and a cup of tea.

tea is for when the going gets tough..

remember to use copper slip when replacing the bolts/nuts and maybe once evey year undo/redo just to save this agony next time.... (hence me doing mine..)