2 stroke not starting [starting now :D ]

mealexme

my lil 2t wont start

I should note that the battery is dead, it has been for a while (gets enough charge whilst driving for lights etc), so i use the kickstart.

Also I amrunning out of petrol, it is in the red :S

Saying that, it has noot spluttered and sounded like it is running out of petrol recently, and it is in the middle of the red, not at the bottom, plus i can still see petrol in the tank so it shouldnt be that (plus i have no other transport to get any.)

Another thought is its because it is cold, butit has started when the seat was iced over so the cold shouldnt be a problem...

Any ideas?

I will try and start it again in a min incase i flooded the engine by trying to start it too much lol. :oops:

Edited by mealexme

Ok, i have put a bit of petrol in it (i say a bit because i found a can of it, and yes it is unleaded. It should be enough for if i did run out of petrol)

Anyway, so it now has petrol but still wont start, spark plug is fine, but forgive me for asking what i am about to ask,but i know nothing about engines....

The spark plug is wet. If this is petrol, is this a good thing because it means petrol is getting to the spark plug, or is it a bad thing because it means that the spark plug is not igniting the fuel?

Also, could this just be oil (its a 2t) and actually there is no unleaded getting through?

How do i ktell if it is petrol or oil?

Man i feel so stupid asking these questions :oops: but i spose if i dont ask i will never know....

well if the plug is wet then first of all it will need drying out

take it out and put a naked flame to the end for a bit stick plug in and try starting

has the bike been stood for a while? It could be that the carb is gummed up and no fuel is getting through

well if the plug is wet then first of all it will need drying out

take it out and put a naked flame to the end for a bit stick plug in and try starting

has the bike been stood for a while? It could be that the carb is gummed up and no fuel is getting through

see this is why i ask lol. So it shouldnt be wet then? And no, it hasnt been stood for a while, i used it yesterday and it wouldnt start thismorning... :(

Spark plug looks fine :)

Turns out (grandad has taken apart and put back together a few bikes in his time) that that battery problem i was talking about before may be the problem. Aparently the "newwer bikes" (his words) use the battery to spark the plug even if on the kick start (old ones used to use a dynomo). My spark plug isnt sparking and there is definatly petrol getting through, so a new battery should sort it :) If not, then i need a new battery anyway lol.

not sure about that as my 2T starts off the kick start when the battery is almost stone dead...

mine has almost been stone dead for a while now (months).. i think it has finally run out of juice lol.

Try disconecting the battery (when the ignition is off obv) and starting it via kick start.

Think tht is the only sure way to see if he is right, cuz i didnt know that the kick start used the battery either, infact i thought the point of the kickstart was for when the elec start didnt work, i.e when the battery died.

But as i said, he has taken apart a fair few bikes, so he should know what he is talking about.

If u do try disconecting the battery, could you tell me what happend? it would be interesting to know :)