losing revs/power

illvibetip

Hello,

My bike rev meter goes up to 13,000 and I usually cruise on the motorway (at 80/90mph with pillion) at about 8000 rpm without pushing it too hard ('red' is 12,000 rpm)

since this afternoon, when my bike gets up to 7,500/8,000, it seems to have no more power and the revs go up past 8,000 and the bike looses all power. Its as if I knocked it into neutral and am just reving it.

Ive been riding it all weekend (around 300km) and never had any problems (apart from it wouldnt start when cold and makes an awful knocking sound until its warm).

There are 3 things worth mentioning though as I am a complete novice, I dont know what Im talking about or if this is remotely relevant...

1/ it was minus 5 today and windy (so it was bloody cold and id been riding for over an hour when this started.

2/ I got the oil changed about 30 mins before I noticed this happening.

3/ my bike always did this when I first bought it until a guy i knew fiddled around with it and it stopped. Ive no idea what he did (i think he just played with the idle, not sure).

any advice would be great as I dont want to take it to the garage and they say theres nothing wrong with it, i get annoyed, etc.

Bike is the Hyosung 250cc 'piece of crap - soon to be traded in on a real make' comet.

It has a choke.

Four stroke DOHC (air and oil cooled), V2 cylinder engine. Mileage unknown.

thanks very much

I'd agree there sounds like clutch slip.

First things first I'd try and re-adjust it and make sure its fully in/ out (+check free play).

Then next port of call sounds like the oil.

Well, if you look at your clutch, you should be able to pull it a few mm, this is showing that the clutch is completely engaged.

If you can't move the clutch in at all with out it physically tugging the cable/ clutch its self, then it may not be completely engaged, allowing it to slip (esp with the extra weight etc)

EDIT: you adjust it with the little nut thing ( :lol: ) It should be kind of obvious when you see it, how to do it.

If not, either look in the manual or take a photo and post it on here and I or some one else should be able to point it out :thumb: