Electrical Fault?

argentum40

I hope one of you gurus can help me out here... ok so my little 2 stroke scooter has bene running like a champ all the time i have had it until the bad weather hit a few weeks ago...

i didnt use it during the bad snow and ice we had although did start it every few days to keep the oily bits oily etc...

as the weather has improved i decided to go out on it today and as usual it started fine but about 2 miles into my trip it just stopped for no apparent reason... managed to get it going again and continued but it happened a further 20+ times until i eventually made it home again..

best way i can describe it is that when it packs in its as if i have turned the ignition key off as it just dies on me... sometimes it backfires when tryin to start it again yet when it eventally does start it ticks over sweetly... i suspect it could be dampness gettin in the electrics or somethign liek that... what do you guys think?

really really daft answer comming up, but have you checked the oil and fuel levels? on my way home today i spluttered to a stop 2'ce and was starting to worry but then remembered about my tap ;) turns out the bike only has a 3 liter fuel tank before needing reserve :(

i suspect fuel :)

seen it before on a scoot the fuel tap works on a vacuum like most bikes and when the bike is running it opens the fuel tap

sometimes the pipe can split so you get no vacuum or very little usually just enough to tick the bike over and fill the carb but when running at speed it will run the carb dry as it cant be filled up fast enough

or the valve in the fuel tap can get stuck especially after been sat for a bit

• 4 weeks later...

doesnt have a sidestand switch mate and glad to as the stand is as sloppy as a whores hooch :cheers:

i have checked all i can and was ok when i was last out on it... basically stripped all plastics off it and bathed the electrics in WD40 did notice the coil was sparking against the frame on occasion and it wasnt a blue spark either but an orange one.

also the fuel pipe on the carb end was very soft and when i touched it fuel squirted out so i replaced that too...