New tyre ride-in/out

alol74

Hi everyone.

Just a wee question - once new tyre is installed (front or rear) - how do you do it's Scrub-in ? How would you know that it has been done for you (by, say, tyre fitter?)

Thanks

Edited by alol74

Why wouldnt it have been, its new you can see that, where i go I can watch them do it, seems an odd question :?

hmmm sorry I think I wasn't too clear about it... The thing is - I don't know how CORRECT scrub-in procedure looks like, how long it takes and so on.... Just wanted to collect observations from other bikers ... I didn't smoke anything BTW - just didn't know how its called :)

I ride steady for a few miles and gradually up my speed and lean angle on dry roads. The tyres need scrubbing in because of the release agent in the rubber. Some people think you can ride fast on the motorway and that's enough. NO IT AIN'T!!!! You need to ride as fast as you dare on a really bendy road, gradually increasing the lean angle , so that the whole tyre gets hot. I usually give it 50 to 100 miles of scrubbing in before I really nail it. You can't scrub it in the rain as it can't get hot and will be really slippy. :D :D :D

:stupid:

More or less what I do. I have a new one on the front at the minute, I had to bring the bike home from the fitters in the rain the other day, it was like riding a giant ice skate. As said above, there was no point even trying to scrub in those conditions so I just kept it as upright as possible all the way home.

Guest philgale

you wont need 50-100 miles to scrub it in, all you need to do is getting it spinning and hot...

do a burn out at the shop and it will be good to go :lol: and i seriously doubt anyone riding on the road would notice any difference. very few people would push it hard enough.

i just ride as i normally do dont bother slowing down the tyre wont let go unless you pin it...

round almeria one of the instructors stuck on new tyres and straight away went out and did under 2 min laps (i was doing 2.03 fastest)

Bit different on the track mate. I have spoken to a few tyre fitters and they all say take it steady with new tyres. One guy rode home on the motorway and then binned it when he went through the twisties. :shock: :shock: :shock: I'll stick to 50/100 mile scrubbing in. :D :D :D

Guest philgale
Bit different on the track mate. I have spoken to a few tyre fitters and they all say take it steady with new tyres. One guy rode home on the motorway and then binned it when he went through the twisties. :shock: :shock: :shock: I'll stick to 50/100 mile scrubbing in. :D :D :D

not really, still a new tyre it was just demonstrating you can go out and ride fast, and on the road your not pushing as hard.

and how do you know it was the tyre that made him crash? guarantee it would of been something else. and the tyre guys have to say 100miles incase someone does crash and do them for it.

and before anyone posts the video of the guy on a new gixxer crashing thats coz hes a tit and was trying to show off to his mates.

When new tyres are made they use a release agent to get them out of the mould, scrubbing in on new tyres is amount of milage it takes to remove this agent from the tyre & the tyre acquires it's full grip potential,, about 100 miles,, new tyres fitted at tyre bays are fitted as new & not scrubbed in

When new tyres are made they use a release agent to get them out of the mould, scrubbing in on new tyres is amount of milage it takes to remove this agent from the tyre & the tyre acquires it's full grip potential,, about 100 miles,, new tyres fitted at tyre bays are fitted as new & not scrubbed in

The only thing wrong with that statement is surely you would have to do 100 miles at every possible lean angle.

I have had many tyres fitted and in alsorts of weather conditions and as pg wrote I couldnt tell any difference on the road grip wise, the only thing i find odd is riding on a new tyres profile.

Just ride normally and out a few heat cycles through it, it will be fine and any coating will be scrubbed off I would say in a few hundered yards on a road surface!

what you say is true Mr T, scrubbing takes time & all lean angles to take off the new shine from a tyre & then your left with chicken strips,

As you also say (heat cycles) it takes time to get time to get a new tyre compound flexing the way it was designed to act before you start pushing it on corners,,I think it should be called running in a tyre, hence the statement 100 miles,

But yes new tyres fitted ride normal, if the road is wet on the day when fitted take care, because the tyre will be covered in release agent & you know what they say about oil & water :wink:

50 miles and you will be done, but the tyre is usually ok for any road stuff after about 10 miles of casual riding.

Or if you want it done quick, go tearing down a straight keeping to the speed limit of course, brake late and hard to build up the heat in the tyres and then lean smoothly and apply a bit of power. On a dry warm day you will have no problems, it will scrub them in nice and quick and you will have a bit of fun. Its what I do and it seems to do the trick :thumb: