220 accidental miles

bakes0310

Went out to barnstable which is about 60 miles from where i live. I had my new satnav and wanted to try it out. I got there and thought lets try somewhere else, i cant remember the name but it was an extra 40 miles away. I got there and looked at my satnav and seen truro "hey i know that place lets go there it cant be far its only a couple centimetres on the screen". So off i went nearly two hours later i was there, heres me thinking it was gonna be a half hour ride. Now it was 5:30pm when i got there and i thought damn i got to get home its getting dark. I clicked Home on the satnav, and it estimated it would take me to 8:30pm to get home.

By 7:00pm it was really dark i was on the motorway tailing speeding cars so i could see better, i was scared, excited and laughing all the way home. When i got home i was so pleased with myself and of course felt a little dumb thinking two centimeters on the satnav wouldnt be very far :oops: :mrgreen:

Haha sounds like a fun ride out.

Though guess it's lesson learn? Check the scale on the map! lol

Just got in myself not long ago, it's bloody dark and oncoming headlights blinded me most of the way! Not so fun! Though still enjoyed the ride overall.

• 1 month later...

I haven't got any GPS yet, but i love to weake up early in the morning and just go wherever my bike takes me :). Usually i just dont know where im going but i love just to get lost and manage to find my way back on my own. Well i do not enjoy riding in the dark, just still not experienced enough to feel comfortable. Oh and what i have learnt while driving in cars with friends, never trust GPS to much !!

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Glad you just carried on riding... thats what having a bike is all about :D I live in Leicestershire and went to the "new" BMF Sept show in Lincoln last year - and on leaving the show in the afternoon, I thought: "Skegness is just down the road"... so I went for a cuppa on the beach. Course, Skeggy is opposite to where I live, and not just down the road :roll: so like you I thought "S**t, I'd better be getting back" as I had a tinted visor on. What a gas chasing the sun going down on the way back home. Made it in side 15mins of darknesss with a cheshire grin...