Thinking of getting leathers advice needed

I currently wear cheap gortex but i keep getting a rip on the part where my boots get covered on top. Iv stitched it up 3 times now thats enough.

Anyway im thinking of getting some leathers down hein gerick. My budget will be around 600-700 so i hope thats enough, but if it aint i may end up spending a bit more :roll: :wink:

Anyway my questions:

1. Can you get leather that is waterproof aswell, rather than buying a seperate waterproofs on top.

2. I will be wearing this all throughout the year, so what will i have to look out for when buying it eg vents

Edited by bakes0310

Dont know about water proof leathers but normal leather take on water in the rain, and their freezing in the winter you might be ok with waterproofs over them, i would try a different make of textiles for the colder months, :) then you'll still look cool with your new leathers in the summer :lol:

Mate for that budget you have I just got BKS leathers.

Far softer, yet thicker and armoured than the HG ones I had previously (although they still are good leathers).

I got my BKS jacket at the bike show last weekend for just over £200, and got the jeans today for £240.

If you went list price on them both the jacket is supposed to be £399, and the trousers £279.

My HG ones I got both jacket and trousers for £300.

Just depends on what you want really, and if you could the change for another biking accessory.

For wearing leathers (at any time) you really want underlayers though.

Hein Gericke do two types of waterproof leathers, their own Sheltex brand and a Goretex set.

I own the HG brand and can vouch for the qulaity and the waterproofness. The Goretex ones are supposed to be bloody awesome, but were ever so expensive when they first came out. Much more affordable now though.

Get donw there and have a nosy!

:stupid: get yourself down and try them on - they won't bite you. I don't have waterproof leathers but i can vouch for HG gear (used to work there in another life) the leathers i had were top notch and i've still got the Tuareg gore tex suit which is 7 years old and has performed faultlessly.

Ratser makes a good point about underlayers for leathers - they make all the difference; EDZ are good and i use one of their all in one suits but i just bought a load of compression tops and windproof stuff ffrom Aldi so i'll need to see how that works out.

:thumb:

I bought alpinestars jacket and trousers for £450 in a sale, would have been £690 so that budget is ample mate.

They are water resistent as in a very light shower or just spitting but are in no way waterproof. You would need an oversuite if you are wearing it all year round.

I have worn mine in 2 degree temperatures and not not been cold. You just thermals underneath and you are sorted.

Stu

Entirely up to you fella.

Riding all year round, I prefer textiles for the practicality.

If you mean goretex leathers, if I had the money, thats what I'd buy. Can't really justify it as they wouldn't get used as much. Cos I use textiles! Generally speaking that is.

If you mean goretex leathers, if I had the money, thats what I'd buy. Can't really justify it as they wouldn't get used as much. Cos I use textiles! Generally speaking that is.

Cheers dan, best for me to just go down there and see whats down there. There staff is pretty awesome down there and give good advice.

Cheers dan, best for me to just go down there and see whats down there. There staff is pretty awesome down there and give good advice.

If i was riding all year around i would buy textiles personally. There are some great ones to be had for under your buidget mate.

Stu

:stupid: get yourself down and try them on - they won't bite you. I don't have waterproof leathers but i can vouch for HG gear (used to work there in another life) the leathers i had were top notch and i've still got the Tuareg gore tex suit which is 7 years old and has performed faultlessly.

Ratser makes a good point about underlayers for leathers - they make all the difference; EDZ are good and i use one of their all in one suits but i just bought a load of compression tops and windproof stuff ffrom Aldi so i'll need to see how that works out.

:thumb:

I have the compression stuff from Aldi as well as EDZ layers.

Both are very good.

I even wear the Aldi stuff when playing 5 a sides when it's cold.