does a standard car tyre pressure gauge work on motorcycle?

ENGBen

I tried using my grandads halfords digital tyre pressure gauge today on my yamaha YBR 125... the reading seemed to be all over the place, and my tyres seemed to need air.

In the end i took it to a petrol station and used the machine.

Just popped into halfords too and they sell a tyre pressure gauge for motorcycles.... But its 15 quid!

I really dont have money to burn right now :(

To answer your thread, yes they do.

I use one i picked up in Wilkinsons for £2.

If you want it accurate you need to hold it firmly and squarely down (easier said than done), and just as importantly, work out how far "out" the gauge you use is reading (as it's important on bike tyres else you'll be over/under inflating - and almost all of the buggers do!), by comparing your measurements to that of the gauges your local garage uses (you know, when you're down there anyway, they probably won't mind if you're putting money their way anyway).

Ah :/ Sorry. Halfords sold them little digital ones for less than £2, and pumps for about £5 when I worked there (work experience, about a year ago). :?

And as stated above, they fit, as they are the same valves. :wink: Don't buy a eleci one though, as their gauges often exceed 150psi, so are almost useless if you want to measure low PSI correctly. :roll: Footpump = best option. 8-)

Ah :/ Sorry. Halfords sold them little digital ones for less than £2, and pumps for about £5 when I worked there (work experience, about a year ago). :?

And as stated above, they fit, as they are the same valves. :wink: Don't buy a eleci one though, as their gauges often exceed 150psi, so are almost useless if you want to measure low PSI correctly. :roll: Footpump = best option. 8-)

Lucky for you ey!

Work experience opposite your house :P

Almost directly!

Catie bought one which is like a key ring one, it cost about 7 quid, which is pretty expensive, but if we went anywhere else it would cost us a fiver in petrol lol.

Im going to test my pressures in the morning before trying to remove the topbox clip thing from the back of my bike :)

I just had a blast around the estate and the back still feels a little low, but maybe its just me been sensitive and paranoid. Like i said my confidence seems shot to pieces.

You'll get it back :)

If the prats at the dealers had set the bike up correctly before you left, you'd be feeling a lot more confident than you do currently...lazy g*ts. :x

Anyway, as long as that tyre is kept an eye on, then you should feel more 'at one' with the bike quicker. 8-)

This next week should bring more good weather with rising temps, (upto 15 degrees C apparently on wednesday! :D ) get lots of hours practise in. :cheers:

Good Luck, and aviod sheffield like the plague! :lol: