Just had my first lesson.

Guest andyhux

Well i booked a cbt on Wednesday and seeing i have never riddden a bike before they said to come in for a introduction. Thank christ i did as it was a lot harder than i thought. By the end of the hour i was moving up to 2nd than back to first in loops in the yard. Didnt even get near a figure of eight.

So what would you make of this progress? I doubt i will be able to do the cbt in one day now.

Oh bugger

I never did a figure of eight till I was on a 500.... you'll go at your own pace and you'll be surprised how quickly you'll get used to doing things. In an hour you're already changing up and down a gear, the other gears are the same as that only faster!

And if you don't do your CBT in a day, that's fine. It's not a test, it's training!

I can only echo the above :)

If you don't manage in one day, it doesn't matter and it doesn't mean you've failed. Loads of people take longer than a day to complete it (I think my instructor said she'd have people take 4-5 days before and one of the other people I did my CBT with who was doing her CBT for the second time didn't complete it in one day). I did the same as you and did an introduction before my CBT as I had no previous experience. I did feel a bit more confident on the actual CBT because of it, but it was still physically and mentally exhausting! Relax, have fun and don't worry about it :)

Yeah i need to chill out, when i did eventually relax on the bike today things started to click.

Think i am gonna be sore on Monday though, my right leg is a touch achey and i was only on for a hour. Think that was to do with the first half hour, i was so tense i was gripping the tank so tight i allmost put dents in it

Whoohoo, had 4 hours in the yard today, it was touch and go i think, kept getting tense then relaxed then tense. Then had about 2 and a half hours on the road. The road was a total disaster to start but for the last hour things started to click and i started to gain confidence and enjoyed it.

I know its no big deal but i passed the cbt in one day, i`m chuffed..

I don't think you should be allowed on a motorbike if you can't do the CBT in a day. I had a quick intro too 1st time on a motorbike in a poorly lit car park in Oxford, picked it up really quickly having cycled a push bike all my life, including down hill mountain biking and long distance cycling. The only hard bit for non car users would be the road navigation and rules? I suppose that's just another thing to worry about. But most of the day is spent off the road. Do admit I seemed to progress quicker than the other attendees. All 5 of them lol. One lady had crashed her last bike on a CBT into a warehouse on the estate in Witney. So they told her to come back and try a scooter :crybaby:

I don't think you should be allowed on a motorbike if you can't do the CBT in a day.

How utterly ridiculous. :roll:

What difference does the amount of days taken to complete it make?

I agree, and this is the same poster (if im not mistaken) who said it took him 5 tests to pass his car test.

Whoohoo, had 4 hours in the yard today, it was touch and go i think, kept getting tense then relaxed then tense. Then had about 2 and a half hours on the road. The road was a total disaster to start but for the last hour things started to click and i started to gain confidence and enjoyed it.

I know its no big deal but i passed the cbt in one day, i`m chuffed..

i think your wrong mate it is a big deal,you got through it and like me you can now learn to ride a bike and pass your test .the cbt might only be the start but with out it you walk.all the best .Steve

i also agree it is a big deal, well done mate,

i done my cbt a month back and i was petrified!

i was starting to have fun around the yard and then they said we are going out on the road!!

you have done the first bit now the rest will come in time!

I don't think you should be allowed on a motorbike if you can't do the CBT in a day.

How utterly ridiculous. :roll:

What difference does the amount of days taken to complete it make?

+1.

I wasn't able to complete it in a day, i had to come back for the road part again because i did things like every time i turned right started riding in the oncoming lane by mistake (He understandably wasn't happy with my rationalisation that if something had been coming i would've realised i was on the wrong side and switched lanes again :lol: )

I found balance and hard and clutch control impossible - I'd fallen off and broken the indicators/levers on the CG125 within 5 minutes of getting on it. I completed the rest of the course on a 50cc scooter. Even then, as i said, not in one day.

It was the first time i'd ever used a motorised vehicle. I was 17.

I listened carefully and tried as hard as i could to do as i was told throughout, even though his "teaching" generally seemed to involve yelling and swearing at me! (he did push too hard - he told me he doesn't do many CBTs, and i can see why!)

Since then i've ridden a great deal of miles (when i'm not, of course, repairing mechanical faults with my knackered old machine), and have even done delivery work on bikes. Haven't ever had a fault accident.

And yet according to you Lumor, i shouldn't have been allowed to ever ride a bike, simply because i found it harder to pick up than you did? :|