Help with electrics please

Donnie Brasco

Joined this forum today,appologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum,now the problem:

Today when I tried to start the bike using the electric start, the engine didn't turn over and I've heard a squeaky noise from the starter relay.Evenetually I jumped started the bike,the engine worked ok but headlight was awefully dim and indicators didn't work. I have a sneaky suspicion that the starter solenoid is gone,any thoughts?

I've also checked the battery's fluid level and added a few bat-aid tablets.

Cheers

James

Check battery connections. Check battery if you can, got a multi meter to read the V? should read around 12 without engine running, and 14 ish when running ...

note the 'ish's

post back

Check battery connections. Check battery if you can, got a multi meter to read the V? should read around 12 without engine running, and 14 ish when running ...

note the 'ish's

post back

Cheers for the reply Dan,connections are fine all clean and greased,sadly I haven't got a voltmeter(will try and see if I can borrow from a neighbour),is it normal for a battery to run all year round without a single problem and suddenly give up like this?

Cheers

James

Wouldn't expect the battery just to give up, not in warm weather at least.

What bike is it? Could be a multitude of things, could be alternator (or stator) or regulator/rectifier...

Wouldn't expect the battery just to give up, not in warm weather at least.

What bike is it? Could be a multitude of things, could be alternator (or stator) or regulator/rectifier...

It's a gilera coguar,engine is basically out of the honda XLR125

couldn't get hold of a voltmeter and wanted to get it fixed quickly so I took it to a mechanic and guess what?It was the ''BATTERY''! :x

I need to buy some decent set of tools and equipment so next time I can check things and resolve simple issues then consider a mechanic as a last resot.yeah it all comes with experience :|

Don't forget gaffa tape and WD40 ...

If it moves and it shouldn't - Gaffa Tape

If it doesn't move and it should - WD40 ....

Here endeth the lesson :mrgreen:

Pick up a multimeter for less than a tenner!

Here you go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-LCD-MULTI ... 35b13149eb

£4.99 +£1.99 P&P

The money these things can save you is well worth the investment.

I swear by mine, then all you need is mole grips and hammer...toolbox sorted :D

Damn I wasn't quick enough and missed out on that one,however I came across another,£5 posted,result! :D

Damn I wasn't quick enough and missed out on that one,however I came across another,£5 posted,result! :D

Thats great, all you need to do now is be able to understand one of these.

http://www.inspectabike.co.uk/img/wd.jpg

Joking apart DO NOT let these things worry or phase you, they are nowhere near as difficult as they look. And the best little bits of advice I can offer anyone wanting to have a bash at electrical faults is:-

1: Always check the battery voltage before you go searching for a fault, if you dont know what the battery is giving out then you will go looking for a fault, stand there scratching your head wondering why the wire you are checking is only giving 11 volts, when thats all the half screwed battery is giving.

2: Check the fuses/relays!!!!!!- Dont spend hours searching to find the fuse/relay is fluffed.

3: Check Earths..One of the biggest problems, I have seen many technicians "Replace to Repair" costing the layman 00's of pounds to finally find there was a bad earth that could of been repaired in minutes FREE, and I put my money on they wouldnt say it was a bad earth if they had replaced the ecu, and spent 3 hours finding the fault. Nor would they put the old ecu back on.

4: I personal always carry 2 pieces of wire(well not when i go out drinking :cheers: ) one with a croc clip on one end, this can be used from the battery as either an earth or a positive so you can bypass any enclosed wire in the wiring loom. The other with small pin connectors on each end this can be used to bridge out consumers.

Hopes this helps, if you get stuck just ask away.

It's been a week since the bike was fitted with a new battery and today I faced the same problem...again :x engine won't turn over at all,checked the battery and it's showing 11v,enough fluid inside the cells,what could it be?

Turns out I need a new rec/reg,spoke to the chap who originally sold me the bike and he said one from a honda cg125 will just slot in and work,starter relay looked a bit knackered too so I've oredered a new one :roll:

here's a quick update,NO the CG reg/rec wont work on this bike due to the fact it has a 3 way charging system. so I've managed to get hold of a second hand part off the bay(30day warranty).Turns out to be an absolute nightmare this,charged up the battery at slow phase,0.8amp I think, but it dosen't seem to exceed 11.4V so I'm just getting a red light on the battery meaning still charging for the last 24hrts,any suggestions?I'm despirate,tired and hopeless as this is my main method of transport....well it was... :roll: :( :( :x