Rucksacks

Are motorbike rucksacks really any different to ordinary ones? apart from the price that is ... I want to get one that will be comfortable on the bike when I come to the rally. I've seen a lot aimed at the motorcycle market but they seem to be twice the price of ordinary backpacks - do they sit differently?

They are usually waterproof and more hard wearing. They also have extra straps on the front, so that the bag has less play in it, and less strain which is taken off your back when you go over a pothole/hump.

If you just need the rucksack the odd time, and the stuff your carrying is light then i wouldn't bother. If you need a laptop for work etc then I would. The Knox ones are meant to be good.

Aye depends how often you will use it Remy, I have a Kriega, and its bloody awesome, but then I don't have a car. So it is my boot!!

Does sit far more differently, and far more comfortable than a normal rucksack.

This RiDE review should be helpful to you :thumb:

Thanks for that Dan, was looking at the Kriega R25 but have read reviews that the straps can catch on your helmet when doing lifesavers :?:

I have the Kriega R35, no issues with it. The R25 is supposed to be a better one, as it is like a roll bag and utterly waterproof.. Tis a good idea yo go and try some on when wearing your gear though.

I have the Kriega R35, no issues with it. The R25 is supposed to be a better one, as it is like a roll bag and utterly waterproof.. Tis a good idea yo go and try some on when wearing your gear though.

Bought my Son that R25 one for his birthday and he swears by it.

Me, I use a Pony Express bag like the DRs do. :lol:

I`ve got the Kreiga R15 cus I don`t have a lot to take to work. That has an additional waist strap that the R25 doesn`t. Very comfortable and no problem catching straps when turning head. Very secure and used every day so pretty robust. You pay for what you get basically.

I want a kriega r35 but can't afford it at the mo. If you just want something for the time being or occasssional use the one i'm using at the mo came from Lidls (or however you spell it) and cost me £12! It can't hold a huge amount of stuff (maybe 15-20l or so) but it's enough for day to day use, it's armoured and is really comfortable without getting in the way when you're riding.

I've got a Kriega R25 and can verify that it is indeed waterproof (has been inadvertantly tested several times), and I've never noticed any issues with the straps being in the way for lifesavers. I like it as it's very adjustable, straps here there and everywhere and once it's on and strapped around your chest you'd never notice any weight on your back at all.

Only thing to bear in mind is that as a lady your chest bumps may be a bit squished by the straps.

Thanks all will look at the Kriega 25, I've got loads of ordinary rucksacks but as it will be the first time I will ride fully laden (and with a rucksack) for a reasonable distance I'd prefer something that doesn't hamper me!

My husband bought me a Givi ruck sack for about £40 and i really like it, i did look at the Kreiga ones but they are expensive and i didnt know how much i would be using it.

i have found my Givi one very comfortable and i did a £50 supermarket shop in it too. Bags aimed at motorbikes have motorbike features on them, so mine has two straps across the front and a net bag that comes out of the bottom and clips to the top for a helmet (or bread rolls). oh, and it reflective bits on it too.

I've got a Kriega R20, outstanding quality and comfy too, almost to the point of not knowing that you are wearing it.

The best feature is the ease of which you can get it on and off your back, it has been designed to use with a bike/leather jacket.

Check out Hiking and climbers bags they are sturdy, waterproof and have front strap. Have noticed anything aimed at biker has a big mark up on it.

Other than that find one you like in the shops and then ebay it.

Check out Hiking and climbers bags they are sturdy, waterproof and have front strap. Have noticed anything aimed at biker has a big mark up on it.

Other than that find one you like in the shops and then ebay it.

Agreed.

Check out some army rucksacks as well, good value for money in my opinion, and come with a lot of features. I use one i got for 20 quid, has a separate waterproof cover, waist strap, padded straps, lots of pockets, and very sturdy.